When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The position reports to the Production Supervisor and Production Team Lead. This position is responsible for the production of various columns and suppressors. Works on problems of moderate scope where analysis of situations or data requires a review of a variety of factors. Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action. Under general supervision, read bills of material, discrete jobs and production procedures. Under general supervision performs assembly, packing, equilibration; testing using various ion chromatography equipment, and embalming of columns and suppressors. Under general supervision follows written and verbal instructions using common laboratory equipment by performing the following duties.
- Handle chemicals and solutions, eluents, and waste in a safe and appropriate manner. Approximately 50% of the daily activities will be spent handling chemicals and mixing solutions.
- Follow production schedule; complexity limited to 1 to 2 products at a time.
- Maintain production records on all products packed, assembled and tested.
- Record daily quantities, yields, and discrete job status.
- Inform the Production Lead immediately of any material shortages and/or production issues.
- With appropriate assistance, perform basic to moderate troubleshooting and maintenance of production/test equipment.
- Knowledge of a significant portion of the product portfolio; working on 1 to 3 products at a time.
- Operate computer system to check revision.
- Fill out Rejection and Store Transaction forms as needed.
- Fill out time sheet daily.
- Assist teammates in achieving goals, often requiring multi-tasking.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; talk or hear and smell. The employee is frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Must have a high school diploma.
- Must have 1 year of college chemistry with 1 year of chemical laboratory experience, or 2 – 5 years of related laboratory experience or equivalent work experience.
- Must have demonstrated ability in the preparation of chemical solutions, standards, and the use of common laboratory equipment.
Interaction with Other Employees
- Regularly communicate with the Production Lead and Production Supervisor to take the daily assignments and to report any relevant production related information during the work day.
- Works frequently with Manufacturing Engineering to improve quality and/or throughput of products.
- Builds productive internal/external working relationships.
This position does NOT have relocation assistance.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.