When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $17 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
In a complex world of producing biologics-based therapeutics and vaccines, help us be a part of this story with our BioProduction team. With applications that span the drug development process—from drug discovery through large-scale commercial production—help us develop a broad range of products including single-use technologies as well as analytical instruments, cell culture labware and media, centrifugation, purification, and analytics for detection of process/product impurities and contaminants.
Within the Purification Business Unit of Thermo Fisher Scientific we are seeking a Senior Technical Applications Specialist (Staff Scientist) to support development of new protein purification products. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced protein purification scientist to join a dynamic and growing business where protein purification, chromatography and analytical skills will be applied daily.
• Supporting purification product lines and new product development activities, the incumbent is expected to:
• Be a staff advisor (technical) expert to management and cross functional teams in the areas of protein purification and characterization.
• Represent customer interests on product development teams, working with business and marketing colleagues to scope market segments, aid collection and analysis of voice of customer data and aid development of product positioning statements.
• Be a role model in product development teams to strategically and tactically guide R&D activities and development of highly differentiated products.
• Lead application efforts associated with new product development including fit for function testing, assay development, prototype and new product characterization and generation of marketing materials for launch of new bioprocess chromatography resins.
• Be an expert using chromatography tools including capacity determinations, separations, particle size analysis, permeability measurements, pH and conductivity mapping, iSEC, and leachable/extractable testing.
• Employ measuring system analysis principles to ensure development and deployment of robust analytics and leads transfer of these analytics into QC.
• A knowledge leader, who through their own contributions, demonstrates advanced uses of purification products to develop key proof statements and marketing literature to support product launches, business and commercial teams.
• Deploy new products into key customer alpha and beta-sites, provide onsite product support, analyze and present key findings and recommendations to product development teams.
• Work alongside business development and sales representatives in pre and post-sale situations.
• Be an accomplished presenter to deliver new product application messaging internally, at conferences and during interactions with customers.
• B.S. or higher degree in biochemistry, biochemical engineering, or a biotechnology discipline is expected.
• Significant (7+ years) protein purification, and/or extensive downstream process development experience.
• Has demonstrable new product development/commercialization and technology transfer experience.
• Have hands on experience of protein purification using chromatography tools and a broad knowledge of protein characterization/analytics used to support purification process development, including HPLC, ELISA, SDS-PAGE and spectroscopy.
• Column packing experience to pilot/process scales (>100 L) is an advantage.
• Use of statistical experiment design processes and validation concepts is expected experience.
• Computer literacy with MS office products, instrument software and other tools such as Jump or Minitab is essential.
• Is self-directed and can leverage the matrix to drive innovation and results.
• Is self-motivated and has exceptional technical skills that are applied to motivate and lead others.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com.