Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 Billion and approximately 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Bio-Systems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
Key Objectives of the role:
- Responsible for manufacturing product(s) in a lab setting following standard operating procedures. Will utilize basic laboratory techniques, calculations, materials measurement, operation of laboratory equipment and record keeping necessary to manufacture products.
- Will perform column purification/ chromatography, buffer preparation, SDS-Page Analysis, Western Blotting, and other protein characterization techniques.
- Responsible for Batch Data Records, notebooks, customer reports and work order documents.
- Utilize specialized technical knowledge and skills to make detailed observations and analyze data to ensure within operating parameters. Advise manager of factors that may affect quality of product. Suggest options/ideas for corrective actions.
- Maintain equipment, product inventories and related records as assigned. Note variances on manufacturing documents; audit and evaluate process documents and propose revisions. Complete, distribute and file records as required in accordance with Document Control Practices.
- Identify potential issues in the production process; report findings to team management and members for resolution. May participate in troubleshooting.
- May assist with process improvement projects or product transfer projects
- May perform other related duties as required and/or assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (must have):
- Must have a bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or other related discipline.
- Requires a minimum of 1 year relevant experience demonstrating laboratory techniques in a manufacturing environment or research laboratory. Protein purification experience is a plus.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of scientific laboratory techniques, equipment and materials required. Experience in the use of basic laboratory techniques, including buffer preparation, column purification/ chromatography, SDS-Page Analysis, Western Blotting, and other protein characterization techniques are beneficial.
- Lifting up to 20 lbs will be required on a frequent basis.
- May be required to stand for long periods of time while performing duties.
- Must be flexible to work varying schedules and hours as needed.
- Must be able to work safely with chemicals and hazardous materials.
Preferred Qualifications (nice to have):
- Consistent, dependable and accurate in carrying out responsibilities
- Displays positive attitude toward job and others
- Follows and provides direction accurately and efficiently
- Excellent documentation and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to carry out scientific procedures and make recommendations for improvement required.
- Good problem solving skills necessary.
- Working knowledge of manufacturing related computer software preferred.
- Intermediate Excel skills Experience with different modes of chromatography such as: affinity, ion-exchange, size exclusion, hydrophobic interaction
- Experience with GE AKTA FPLC protein chromatography equipment and Unicorn software is a plus.
This position has not been approved for Relocation Assistance.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.