- Direct management responsibility for all software engineering research and product development activities for the PCA and Antibody businesses.
- Evaluates schedules, scope, cost and risk associated with research & development programs.
- Works across businesses, functions and multiple stakeholder groups to help design and execute R&D strategies and planning.
- Prioritizes resources for exploration of new technologies that contribute to sustained growth for the business.
- Works collaboratively with Senior Management and other R&D Managers to maintain alignment of resources on priority projects.
- Supports other departments such as manufacturing, technical support and quality by providing scientific guidance and assignment of resources to assist in troubleshooting.
- Represents R&D group to other sites and divisions for cross-site collaborations and projects.
- Represents company externally to commercial or academic partners.
- Attends scientific/management conferences and represents business unit through talks, tutorials and publications.
- Leads a multi-layered and cross-site organization of R&D Managers & Scientists across global locations in Bangalore, India; Bothell, WA; Carlsbad, CA Eugene, OR and Pittsburgh PA.
Requirements & Experience
We are looking for an experienced technical leader to direct the global software engineering innovation, development, and sustaining efforts for our Biosciences Division.
The successful candidate will be an accomplished leader who is able to blend deep technical subject matter expertise with an energizing leadership style. Leading a team of highly capable software engineers, the candidate must be able to motivate and inspire their team to overcome obstacles and deliver complex software projects on-schedule and within budget.
This role will also require experience interfacing with leadership counterparts in the hardware, systems, and reagents R&D to ensure success of multi-disciplinary projects. This leader will have to earn the trust of their subordinates, superiors and peers while also creating a results oriented culture built on transparency and accountability. The ideal candidate is a self-starter with a track record of consistently delivering high quality results.
- Seasoned knowledge of the software/hardware development life cycle including planning, risk analysis, requirements, architectural design, development, verification and validation testing.
- Experience using multiple software development tools, modeling tools and defect tracking tools required
- Experience with embedded software/firmware, real-time operating systems
- Successful Management of a software component in at least one complex multidisciplinary project required. Experience must include project planning and task estimation.
- Must have experience with state-of-the-art software development tools and methodologies such as Agile development methodologies, specifically Scrum. Tools like Jira, TFS, and others should be familiar
- Successful Management of a software component in at least one complex multidisciplinary project required. Experience must include project planning and task estimation
- Demonstrates ability to design R&D strategies, influence stakeholders, and drive execution by leading through others.
- Mentors managers and scientists and effectively leads group activities.
- Provides leadership and career development guidance.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and within a matrixed, team environment.
- Strong oral, written and presentation skills, and a demonstrated ability to manage complex research and development programs.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills through formal and informal discussions with peers, team, colleagues, supervisor and upper management.
- Displays leadership across the business unit and division.
- Strong background in independently developing and using antibody based assays.
- Experience in applying scientific principles & concepts.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of relevant fields and techniques
- Ability to work independently to initiate, take ownership of, and lead research into innovative software technology approaches.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering required; Master’s preferred, with 10-12 years of relevant software engineering experience
- Must have at least 5-7 years of previous management experience.