When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Staff Scientist, Bioinformatics main responsibility is to work within the bioinformatics team to develop, improve and maintain tools, pipelines and software for the analysis of complex NGS datasets that meet or exceed the quality expectations and regulatory requirements for molecular diagnostic assays and research products. This role will work in collaboration with research staff and other departments and requires knowledge of bioinformatics, molecular biology, serology, bio-statistics or other bio-scientific discipline, as well as ability to quickly absorb a new discipline and to problem-solve.
- Provide analytical and data-processing services to Research department for the research and development of new products, including NGS, protein assays, biostatistics analysis
- Develop, maintain, troubleshoot and improve existing bioinformatics tools, pipelines, and software.
- Design and implement novel computational and statistical approaches and frameworks to analyze and interpret complex biological data sets.
- Conduct genetic interpretation and application of results from NGS data.
- Searching relevant sequence information from external sources for primer and probe design, as well as data mining of genomic libraries and genomes
- Identify and use external software tools for sequence analysis
- Perform resolution analysis to evaluate DNA typing kits
- Light scripting and programming work, where needed, to create software tools to assist in process efficiency
- Track and maintain detailed log of tasks and outcomes
- Regularly communicate accomplishments and progress to team members and management.
- Proactively communicate with co-workers to help ensure analytical goals are achieved
- Coordinate and interact closely with other scientists on data quality and file management; implement these formats and metrics for project data
- Share expertise by provide training and guidance to team members as needed
- Participate within a team of scientists to foster a culture of scientific excellence
- Interact with Research, Production, and IT staff, as well as customer support at times
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or Life Science related field AND 8 years of relevant work experience with complete software product life cycles, from concept to development, product testing and final release; OR Master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or Life Science related field AND 5 years of relevant work experience with complete software product life cycles, from concept to development, product testing and final release; OR PhD AND 3 years of relevant work experience with complete software product life cycles, from concept to development, product testing and final release
- Proven track record of success in understanding complex end-user applications, collecting and clearly documenting end user requirements and translating these into functional or engineering requirements
- Experience with bioinformatics data analysis and software/algorithm development.
- Ability to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner
- Outstanding organizational, planning, process development, communication, analytical, and interpersonal skills.
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to analyze complex data, troubleshoots technical issues, and makes valid scientific conclusions.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Meticulous and detailed oriented; especially in regard to documentation, communication of results, and training of coworkers.
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects and changing priorities while consistently meeting critical deadlines.
- Ability to follow Standardized Operating Procedures (SOPs) as well as written and verbal instructions.
- Willingness to learn and take on new challenges.
- Highly-motivated, self-driven, and able to focus on project goals.
- Experience with Linux and fluency in at least one programming language (e.g., Perl, Python) with the capability to quickly learn and adopt new tools is required. Experience with R would be beneficial.
- Knowledge of programming languages C#, VB/VBA, MATLAB, R, Perl, SQL Scripting
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.