When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $17 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
We are searching for a Manager of Engineering that will oversee engineering of key projects and processes including design reviews, performance reports, data analysis, technical accuracy, and design control compliance. This position will also be responsible for generating mechanical designs, prototyping, test plans, specifications, drawings, and technical reports.
- Oversee engineering of key projects and processes including design reviews, performance reports, data analysis, technical accuracy, and design control compliance.
- Member of a product engineering team responsible for generating mechanical designs, prototyping, test plans, specifications, drawings, and technical reports.
- Develop and implement policies, standards and procedures for the engineering team.
- Perform administrative functions such as reviewing and writing reports, approving expenditures, enforcing rules, resolving internal issues, annual employee performance reviews, budgets, new hires, and mentoring.
- Collaborate with other business functions to accomplish project, department, and business objectives. Directs appropriate support for manufacturing, sourcing, and quality functions within the organization to improve manufacturing processes and product reliability.
- Manage group metrics and trends; implementing proactive actions to increase efficiency and productivity.
- Support business strategy by engaging in product and technology roadmaps, business development, and strategic planning.
- Participates in intellectual property analysis and review boards.
- Works with customers and commercial teams on complex technical projects; in person highly visible interactive engagement with customers is expected.
- Interact with customers and sales teams providing technical expertise.
- Mechanical, Materials, Chemical, or Biological Engineering degree with 10-years experience for BS or 8-years with MS or PhD degree.
- Experience in engineering with a strong understanding of core concepts including mechanics, kinematics, thermodynamics, and material science.
- Managerial and leadership skills with excellent organizational, verbal and written communication competencies.
- Strong customer interaction skills, process management and project management skills
- Knowledge and experience in product development, program and project management, budgeting and finance, personnel and staffing.
- Strong technical and business acumen including working knowledge of related software programs (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SolidWorks, AutoCad, FEA, CFD, etc.).
- Work in a regulated industry environment is preferred (design control, FDA, cGMP).
- Approximately 20% travel required.
- Industry experience in BioProduction or Medical Device preferred.
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria
- BS engineering degree
- 4-years management experience, 8-years engineering experience
- Proficient in business and engineering software
- Demonstrated experience working with cross functional technical teams and customers
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.