Scientist 2 (QC Metrologist)
Requisition ID: 70289BR
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Location/Division Specific Information
High Point, NC
How will you make an impact?
The Scientist 2 (QC Metrologist) position serves the Quality Control Laboratory to ensure that all equipment are properly installed, maintained, validated as necessary, calibrated, and designated operational for daily use to support the various testing demands of Quality Control.
What will you do?
- Recommend, specify and coordinate the purchase of cGMP instrumentation and assist in the implementation and validation or re-validation of equipment as required.
- Provide support in terms of equipment readiness for new analytical methods and method transfers.
- Maintenance and calibration of category A instruments which include, but not limited to HPLCs, GCs, FTIR spectrometers and UV/Vis spectrophotometers.
- May also be required to perform instrument maintenance and calibration of category B instruments which include, but is not limited to, balances, pH meters, titrators, centrifuges, portable column heaters, air samplers, alignment kits, dew point monitors, stopwatches, thermometers, constant temperature baths, calipers, gage blocks, weight sets, color meters, conductivity meters, flow meters, chart recorders, single or multi channel pipettes.
- Write and maintain applicable SOP and work instructions.
- Assist with coordinating day-to-day metrology events and aid in the repair, building, and troubleshooting all QC instrumentation.
- Oversee all work of independent contractors and maintain the Calibration database.
- Generate requisitions for materials, instruments, spare parts, and tools required to maintain QC instrumentation, and assist the Laboratory Manager and Supervisors in assessing new instrumentation needs or modifications to existing systems.
- Attend Change Review Board meetings; generate change documents in support of instrument qualifications/calibrations as well as Test Procedures, Specifications and other lab related functions.
- Train lab analysts on techniques such as HPLC, GC, UV-Vis, FTIR and dissolution including troubleshooting and maintenance.
How will you get here?
- Bachelor’s degree in science, preferably Chemistry or Biology
- At least 4 years of experience in Metrology, preferably in a GMP chemistry laboratory environment.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Good knowledge and understanding of chemistry and analytical instrumental technologies.
- Good knowledge of qualitative and quantitative chemical or microbiological analysis.
- Good knowledge of quality and regulatory requirements in the pharmaceutical industry, including pharmaceutical GMPs and descriptive organic chemistry.
- Good problem-solving skills and logical approach to solving scientific problems.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written).
- Good presentation skills to present information to customers, clients, and other employees.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical procedures and governmental regulations.
- Ability to write standard operating procedures, simple protocols, and reports.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers or regulatory agencies.
- Ability to apply mathematical operations, to such tasks as determination of test reliability, analysis of variance and correlation techniques.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.