This is a front line leadership role which involves supervising and supporting various Team Leaders and their staff to provide sustainable and reliable Scientific Support Services, not limited to testing laboratories at customer site. He/she must develop good leadership and training models to achieve this. In addition, this technical management role has various levels of responsibilities to implement practical process improvement in the laboratory to achieve higher productivity while ensuring strict adherence to required safety and quality assurance guidelines.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
Grow, drive and deliver values to customers and on-site team to ensure a sustainable and long term committed engagement with them. This can be achieved through the following areas:
1. Site Operation and Management
- Proper set-up and implementation of Statement of Work (SOW) to manage customer’s expectation and needs.
- Ensure that the Team Leaders in various scientific disciplines (Chemical, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Regulatory and Engineering etc.) and their respective teams to operate:
- In compliance with the customers’ approved testing protocols and corresponding training criteria as well as equipment maintenance and calibration protocols to meet customers’ operational and quality objectives and key performance index (KPI).
- Within the service scope of work as agreed upon in the SOW with customers.
- Under safety working environment on-site.
- Monitor and assess operation and project execution resources and workload. Review any adjustments required periodically with manager, team leaders and customers.
- Demonstrate a high level of customer focus and responsiveness including direct interaction with customers.
2. Site Quality
- Identify and establish standard operational and quality improvement systems by ensuring a high level of conformance through rigorous application of the principles of ISO 9001, ISO 17025 and Good Practices guidelines and regulations.
- Develop and maintain processes for product testing, rigorous document control, management, and verification for accuracy.
- Develop on-site Quality Management System (QMS) metrics to monitor the progress and success of the system.
- Active interfacing with customer’s operational teams in resolving quality and procedural variances.
3. Site Team Performance
- Develop and maintain team performance measures with company’s human resource system and tools.
- Actively engage, coach and develop staff within a progressive team environment which includes identifying and grooming of potential leaders and planning for technical and soft skill training.
- Ensure required training for staff is current and appropriate.
4. Practical Process Improvement
- Conceive, lead, manage and participate in cost, productivity and quality improvement initiatives.
- Track and translate process improvement initiatives into hard and soft cost savings.
- To actively and positively participate in all cross-functional teams appointed to.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Tertiary Science Qualification, preferably in Chemistry, Biomedical, Biotechnology, Chemical Engineering and / or similar field of study.
- Minimum of 3 years of service experience in supervisory or management roles within the laboratory services or operational environment with excellent track records.
- Preferably knowledgeable in chemical, quality management and environmental safety management.
- Systematic and meticulous with good project management experience (scoping, planning, implementation and resource management).
- Has experience in working with customers and cross-functional teams in communicating and implementing required changes.
- Independent, self-motivated and adaptable in a dynamic environment.
- Team builder/motivator and team player with excellent problem solving skill.
- Interactive with excellent written and oral communications.
- Good organizational and coordination skill to multi-task and meet deadlines as needed.