When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Under general guidance, a Sr. Systems Engineer performs all activities related to system administration such as operating system installations, access control list maintenance, data backup and recovery, and system patching. Additionally, with a focus dedicated to our enterprise-wide Directory Services infrastructure, the engineer will configure and maintain core services such as Active Directory (AD), Domain Name Services (DNS) and Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), Virtual Directory Services (VDS), AD Federated Services (ADFS) and all related infrastructure. Responds to alert and alarm conditions to troubleshoot and repair immediate break/fix issues, accepts issue escalations from other support teams and works assigned projects.
- Fulfills work requests and resolves issues using our corporate Service Desk Management tool for work prioritization and tracking.
- Maintains the globally distributed virtual server infrastructure that supports our enterprise Directory Services servers.
- Manages and maintains the various Active Directory forests and domains.
- Assists with the integration of new acquisitions, merging users and objects with our corporate forest and the MS Azure Cloud Services directory.
- Participates in the 24x7 on-call pager rotation, responding to alerts from our Global Command Center or Major Incident Managers for issues within their scope.
- Minimum of 4 years of paid professional experience maintaining MS Active Directory in a medium to large enterprise environment. Experience in a multi-domain forest is a plus.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience maintaining internal and externally facing Domain Names Service (DNS) zones. A thorough understanding of IETF RFC-1034 and RFC-1035, the DNS protocol and its fundamental concepts is expected.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience installing, configuring and maintaining DHCP services and scopes.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience managing systems and applications in a virtualized environment.
- Cloud engineering experience of at least 1 year in any of the following areas is preferred for this senior level position; AD systems, security, networks.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science or other technical field is desired. 6 years of additional direct and applicable professional experience in the IT field may be substituted.
- Background and experience working in an enterprise environment with mature Incident Management, Change Management and Problem Management processes.
- Two years of experience working out of a major service management (ticketing) tool such as Remedy, Service Now or Service Desk
- Excellent troubleshooting skills with proven ability to work through a problem logically to its successful resolution.
- Solid communication skills, both written and verbal, are a hard requirement for this high profile position. Must be able to translate technical issues into clear and concise descriptions and explanations that are understandable and actionable for a broad audience with varying technical or business backgrounds.
- Ability to work calmly through high-pressure situations
- Ability to work well with managers, engineers and users across different technical and business silos.
- Microsoft certifications in Windows Server 2003 or higher, Exchange 2007 or higher, Microsoft Azure and/or Amazon Web Services are quite desirable but not required.
- 5 years of experience as a Domain Administrator in a MS Active Directory (2003/2008/2012) environment
- 5 years of experience as a MS Windows systems administrator in a Windows Server 2003 or higher environment
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.