Job Title: Advanced Computing Systems Engineer II
Job Location: Pittsburgh, PA
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. Surrounded by collaborative colleagues, you’ll have the support and opportunities that only a global leader can give you. Our respected, growing organization has an exceptional strategy for the near term and beyond. Take your place on our strong team, and help us make significant contributions to the world. Visit us at http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Introduction to the Division /Function
Our team falls under the Advanced Computing Division of Global IT Infrastructure at Thermo Fisher Scientific. We support the critical core enterprise storage platform, complimentary data protection services and the transformation to the cloud.
The Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. Enterprise ACS Engineering Team is looking for a motivated and solutions-driven Advanced Computing Systems Engineer to build complex and dynamic environments in support of high-performing business models. We welcome all self-starters with excellent communication skills and ability to collaborate on a diverse range of ongoing projects. This is an On-Call position. The primary focus will be on Storage, Backup, and Cloud technologies.
- Support our Enterprise Storage, Data Protection and growing Cloud environments.
- Demonstrate knowledge and proficiency with EMC Storage and Data Protection Technologies: VMAX, VNX, VPLEX, Isilon, Avamar, Data Domain, DDBoost, Data Protection Advisor, Networker and data replication.
- Demonstrate knowledge and proficiency with VERITAS Data Protection Technologies: NetBackup Server, OpsCenter, NetBackup Disk Appliances (52xx), tape library management, troubleshooting backup failures, client installs, and facilitating data recovery.
- Demonstrate knowledge and proficiency with supporting our Cloud-based initiatives with EMC and AWS, participate in POCs and stand-up new environments using CloudArray, Cloud Tier, Cloud Pools, and Cloud NAS platforms.
- Perform system upgrades, enhancements, installations, and configurations for Storage, Backup and Cloud platforms.
- Follow and enhance Infrastructure documentation including architecture diagrams, metrics, and operating procedures.
- Demonstrate knowledge and proficiency following standards, administrative best practices, and regulation compliance requirements.
- Troubleshoot issues with support vendors to find solutions to complex problems. Conduct root cause analysis. Identify performance issues and constraints.
- Investigate, resolve and implement process improvements to existing systems and associated procedures.
- Enforce company’s infrastructure architecture standards and policies to maximize efficiency and support platform compatibility.
- Maintain the security of backup environment so that it is “audit ready” at all times. This includes both SOX and PCI requirements.
- 24/7 Support (on-call).
Skills, Knowledge required:
- Foundational knowledge and experience with Storage, Backup and Cloud systems.
- Experience with storage technologies: SAN, SymCLI, Unisphere, File and Block, NAS.
- Experience with backup technologies: Tape library management, CLI library commands, Windows/Linux tape drivers, volume pools, tape encryption, media failures, tape rotations, new client deployments, backup and recoveries.
- Experience and good knowledge backing up; NDMP, VMware, Exchange, SQL and Oracle DBs, DDBoost.
- Focus on automation, scripting, efficiency efforts, and innovation.
- Experience and extensive knowledge on Storage, Backup, and Cloud migrations.
- Able to engineer and design technical solutions.
- Experience and good understanding of VMware, Linux, SunOS, Windows etc.
- Ability to explain and champion technical concepts to a broad audience.
- Strong analytical and project management skills required, including a thorough understanding of how to interpret customer business needs and translate them into application and operational requirements.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
- Possess excellent organization skills and ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills, mitigating production outages.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, challenging environment.
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing technologies. Passion for learning.
- Demonstrate the attitude, skills, and determination to be successful in a fast-paced and challenging team.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Embodiment of 4i values: integrity, innovation, intensity, and involvement.
- Ability to work in a team structure, make decisions, solve problems, communicate inside & outside the organization, and analyze, plan, organize and prioritize work.
Masters’/Bachelors’ Degree in IT/Computer Science or equivalent work experience.