Senior Sales Manager, Protein & Molecular Biology, Central Europe
The Senior Sales Manager position is a field-based management position accountable for Germany, Austria & Switzerland sales results for protein biology and molecular biology products. This position is responsible for achieving revenue targets, leading business processes and managing the resources associated with the products. In this position you are accountable to Commercial leadership for; achieving agreed upon sales and financial targets, establishing and maintaining effective professional relationships with key customers, ensuring effective sales, attracting and retaining qualified Technical Sales Specialists to realize growth opportunities within the Region and, providing service to customers consistent with Thermo Fisher Scientific standards and expectations.
Creates a strategy & tactical plan for the protein biology and molecular biology business to meet or exceed business goals agreed upon with Thermo Fisher Scientific Commercial management for the Region.
Directs the tactical implementation of the business plan to meet objectives across the teams and geographies– including growth initiatives, sales to new accounts in target industries, successful introduction of new products.
Influencing and interacting with the global/local leadership including General Manager/Vice President level, product management, marketing and sales leadership. Continuously drives process and operation improvement opportunities.
Oversees contracts/quotations within Thermo Fisher Scientific Guidelines by extending competitive pricing as needed to maintain and increase margin with guidance from Director of Sales or Commercial Operations’ Finance department.
This individual’s responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to the following specific responsibilities:
- In partnership with other members of the management team, scope out the short and long-term strategic and operating plans for the portfolio.
- Implement the commercial strategies, ensuring alignment with the global and regional plans.
- Through Technical Sales Specialists, directs the process of selling Thermo Fisher Scientific protein biology and molecular biology products and services to customers and prospects
- Consistently monitors results of sales process including sales forecasting, pipeline management, and sales tracking through the use a CRM system and other designated IT tools
- Identify and evaluate market opportunities for growth – Engage in business development for emerging technologies or market segments.
- Ensure a financially sound operation with solid corporate governance and compliance. Manage the business’s budget appropriately.
- Partner with other members of the management team, globally and in the region, to formulate cross-functional strategies for accelerated growth.
- Monitor market intelligence and keep abreast of competition; economics, and the regulatory environment.
- Lead a technically-savvy team; hire, motivate, and retain staff, to build a high performing team.
Nature and Scope
- Proficient in strategic and tactical thinking about the business, developing actionable business plans and demonstrating to Region team member how to achieve those plans
- Strong analytical and business planning skills.
- Superior professional presence and business acumen.
- Possesses excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the demonstrated ability to communicate with many diverse customer audiences such as Economic Decision Makers and other influencers, and internal audiences across functions Communication skills include excellent listening and presentation skills.
- Strong capability to interface effectively with all customer types across functions and at all levels to gain commitment, obtain resources, and achieve desired results.
- Ability to function effectively with a high performance team with strong team building skills and the ability to resolve conflict.
- Requires ~50% travel
- Requires 7 plus years’ experience in sales and/or sales management. Knowledge of protein biology and molecular biology required.
- Integration and change management experience ideal.
- Has experience with selling capital equipment and proven experience in selling techniques to drive closing sales
- Experience in running a selling organization, or a demonstrable understanding of business practice in the Life Science industry. Familiarity with funding practices with respect to the life sciences industry.
- Experience in managing stakeholders in a matrix environment preferably on a global basis
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or related field; or the equivalent knowledge and experience. A Master’s degree is preferred.