When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Director of Operations will lead the Americas Service & Support business operations within the Life Science Solutions Group of Thermo Fisher Scientific and will report directly to the Americas Service & Support Leader. In this role, you will facilitate and support the development & delivery of key operating processes centered around Service & Support KPI’s, Vendor Management, instrument buyback strategies, operating expenditures/investments, service profitability/margin expansion, business analytics, and overall operating mechanisms. You will serve as project leader on key initiatives, partner with global service & support operations to drive consistency & sustainability, and implement globally aligned business & process improvement priorities within the Americas.
- Overall leadership of The Americas service ops/admin team, including data analyst role.
- Define, communicate, and analyze key inputs/outputs of Americas Service & Support KPI’s
- Establish and monitor Americas S&S third party vendor relationships, performance & contracting (fleet, tools calibration, depot repair, etc.). Build tracking and reporting metrics of these activities as part of monthly operating reviews.
- Partner closely with Sales, Service, and Support leadership to understand & manage data mining requests/needs and providing clear business analytics as an outcome. Drive consistency & accuracy of data across the region.
- Ensure year-over-year profitability growth within the Americas Service organization including discount strategies, pricing strategies, bundling strategies, etc.
- Work with regional leaders to build & own service/support field resource deployment models.
- Measure and report Service, Sales and Support productivity across the Americas region. Measure and align meaningful annual incentive programs tied to performance and business requirements.
- Own annual service, support, and service sales commission/incentive programs to optimize and weigh cost/benefit.
- Own the development and effectiveness of team operating mechanisms including weekly finance reviews, QBR agendas, biweekly staff agendas, operating review decks, etc.
- Analyze and develop compelling investment scenarios for Americas Service. Lead cost/benefit and ROI analysis for investment recommendations.
- Partner closely with finance partners to build & own annual AOP plans – assumptions, headwinds, tailwinds, resources, etc.
- Lead VCP (variable cost productivity), and cost elimination projects for Americas Service & Support. Own annual cost out metrics & targets.
- Develop and implement a robust instrument “buyback” strategy.
- Act as the Americas liaison for translating global PPI/CAS projects and best practices into the region.
- Work closely with field teams and service leadership to identify new opportunities for growth, both organic as well as inorganic. Own Merger & Acquisition & justifications.
- Drive operating mechanisms for the region quarterly, and as needed, to ensure business performance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Management, Economics, or related field.
- 10+ years of finance, service/sales operations, project management, or service field operations experience.
- 5+ years of commercial or sales operations leadership experience.
- Lean/Six Sigma experience.
- Experience assessing and building resource and deployment strategies.
- Excellent analytical, project management and planning skills.
- Exceptionally strong business acumen.
- Proficiency in both tactical AND strategic thinking.
- Ability to operate independently with a high capacity for work.
- High energy, can-do attitude.
- Proven track record of challenging status quo and creative, innovative thinking.
- Ability to execute on commitments & drive measurable business results.
- Strong relationship building skills, collaboration, and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient at listening, facilitating, resolving conflict, negotiations, and influencing peer groups.
- Ability to develop and implement continuous improvement processes and procedures to support growth.
- Advance knowledge of the methodologies for measuring, reporting and continuous improvement of departmental and organizational performance.
- Experience managing cross-functional teams in a matrix environment.
- Master’s degree or MBA preferred.
- Six Sigma Green Belt, Black Belt or Master Black Belt.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.