Job Title: Research Laboratory Technician
Location: Bedford, MA
Reports to: Sr. Staff Scientist, Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Analytics and Purification
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Research Laboratory Technician will assist with and execute laboratory experiments including synthesis of polymeric resins and associated surface modification for purification chromatography. Supporting new product development and the custom resin program duties also include analysis of samples using standard analytical techniques including liquid chromatography, UV spectrometry, surface area analysis and porosimetry. He/she will assist in the preparation of written protocols, ordering of supplies, and executing all aspects of laboratory work including maintenance of the chemical inventory. Reporting to the Sr. Manager R&D, Chemistry, Research Technician will work closely with senior members of staff to execute experiments in a timely manner and report results where applicable. Regular duties will include working on several different tasks over the work period. Good record keeping, data integrity, time management and attention to detail are paramount as programs often fast faced and require tight deadlines to be met.
- Reporting to Sr. R&D Manager takes direction from lead scientist regarding daily duties.
- Flexible daily work supporting both NPI and Customs projects to tight deadlines
- Follows both well-defined and research procedures as outlined by Best Practices, SOP’s & general work instructions.
- Maintains laboratory notebook and records accurately processes and results including quantities and yields.
- Prepares reports based on experimental procedures using MS Word and Excel.
- Quickly communicates with manager/supervisor any issues or potential problems.
- Promotes personal growth and development by staying abreast of new procedures and participate in training to expand job capabilities.
- Works effectively with a diverse cross-functional team.
- Embraces Practical Process Improvement (PPI) methodologies and participate in 5S activities to improve lab standards.
- Access & utilize Thermo Fisher Scientifics’ Intranet and SharePoint document management system.
- Laboratory Research
- Handle chemicals, solutions, and waste in a safe and appropriate manner. Approximately 70% of the daily activities will be spent handling chemicals and mixing solutions.
- Carry out resins synthesis, modification, grafting and protein conjugation.
- Test resin samples for function, surface area and pore size and keep accurate records of test results.
- Characterize resins using standard liquid chromatography techniques.
- Use analytical techniques to monitor reactions and analyze solutions.
- Troubleshoot problems during development. With appropriate assistance will troubleshoot and maintain synthesis/test equipment.
- Supply and Chemical Management
- Maintain and order supplies as required.
- Receive, register and track chemical containers within R&D.
- Perform routine audits of chemical inventory database.
- Provide chemical inventory reports upon request.
- Follow all safety guidelines related to the handling and movement of chemical containers.
- Work with Staff Scientist to ensure correct storage of chemicals.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Experience with common laboratory equipment such as pH meters, analytical balances, pipettes graduated cylinders, volumetric flasks, and hand calculators.
- Experience with analytical tools including UV spectroscopy and sample preparation
- Hand on experience with a combination of the organic synthesis, polymer synthesis, surface chemistry, protein conjugation, bench-scale protein chemistry, lab-scale or pilot scale reactions.
- Understanding of working in a GMP environment.
- Mathematical skills including the ability to add, subtract and divide in all units of measure including but not limited to percentage and concentration of chemical solutions.
- Reasoning ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Communication: Must be able to communicate clearly and openly in a timely fashion.
- Organizational: Capable of working on 2-3 tasks simultaneously. Exceptional time management.
- Computer skills: Must have experience using MS Office programs specifically Excel.
- Must be able to work in a fast paced environment to tight deadlines
- Must be able to work using Nitrile Gloves and other Person Protective Equipment including respirators.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to work with dry ice, liquid nitrogen cryogenics, hazardous and biological agents, inhalation of dust and fumes, changes in temperature.
- Must be willing and able to work to a flexible schedule with overtime when project justifies additional labor hours.
- Must be able to use a computer up to 6 hours per day.
- Typical work schedule is day shift, 5 days/week, and may require adjusted or extended work hours, depending on the project.
- 2 year of college chemistry with 2 year of chemical laboratory experience, or 3-4 years of proven related laboratory experience or equivalent work experience.
- Demonstrate ability in the preparation of chemical solutions standards, and the use of common laboratory equipment.
- Bachelor’s Degree with some laboratory experience
This position has not been approved for Relocation Assistance.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.