Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $18 billion and approximately 57,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
All of our employees share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement. Our ability to grow year after year is driven by our ability to attract, develop and retain world-class people who will thrive in our environment and share in our desire to improve mankind by enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
If you share in our values and if you're looking for an employer who is strongly committed to developing talent and rewarding achievement, come grow with us at Thermo Fisher Scientific.
The Depot Repair Technician position is responsible for customer support activities involving the preventative and corrective maintenance of instrumentation used in histology and Anatomical Pathology. The successful candidate must have the ability to diagnose and resolve problems on a variety of electronic and mechanical instruments and work both independently and as a team. Additional responsibilities include; technical phone support with customers, feedback and interactions with Instrumentation Support, interactions with Manufacturing and Sales; perform Service Training, and participation with new product development as required. Documentation, reports, and data entry must be completed as required for assigned position. The Depot Repair Technician will also represent the company in a positive, professional manner in all dealings with Thermo Fisher Scientific customers, both external and internal. Maintain and service our customers to ensure 100% customer satisfaction.
Build a highly-responsive, well-trained, cost effective Instrument Depot team to help us support both our Sales and Service Field teams in both instrumentation and training. Manage working relationship with the external Field Service and Third Party organizations. Monitors Depot Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to measure performance and ensures compliance with ISO 13485 requirements. Provide leadership for the service organization and repair of Anatomical Pathology Medical equipment used in hospitals and private laboratories. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Adhere to Thermo Fisher Scientific protocols, consistencies and procedures.
- A Repair Technician working on Customer, Demo, RGA, and Loan instruments as they cycle through the warehouse.
- Replaces parts that are faulty or defective and pushes for resolution to recurring problems.
- Uses sensitive test equipment such as ohm, volt, amp meter, etc.
- Responsible for keeping accurate parts inventory and minimizing inventory value where possible.
- Documents scrap for defective units.
- Performs Service Training for new Field Service Engineers, Bio Meds, and Third Party organizations when applicable.
- Help develop and maintain training materials, service bulletins, and service documentation where applicable.
- Help develop and maintain refresher training for Direct Technicians and Third Party organizations.
- Monitor, prioritize, and shift workload of demo, customer, and sold units that are on the depot repair schedule to ensure timely completion of repairs.
- Work with the Demo Coordinator on demo failures, feedback, and continuous improvement.
- Participate in new product development, launches, and beta testing.
- Document work performed on instrumentation in the Service ERP system.
- Ensure complaint handling is completed and documented thoroughly.
- Identifies problems/issues and works to resolve them within and outside the department. Provides feedback to Quality Department.
- Interface closely with sales, service, and management to ensure customer satisfaction is maximized.
- Performs all duties using required safety procedures and equipment according to company policies and practices.
- Support Practical Process Improvement (PPI) methodology and participate in initiatives as required.
- Responsible for meeting all required department and company training goals and expectations.
- Technical Phone support (queue log in) to both internal and external customers
- Communication to customers where applicable; repair updates, shipping, etc.
- Maintain accurate daily hours worked and pto hours
- Ensures that Thermo Fisher’s customer satisfaction objectives are met or exceeded.
- Effectively communicates and exchanges information among team members.
- Cleans immediate work area.
- Performs other duties as requested by supervisor.
- BS or AS Degree preferred, not required
- 2-3 Years of Field/ Repair Experience, preferred
- Proven ability to diagnose and resolve problems on electronic and mechanical instrumentation in a scientific laboratory environment
- Ability to read, interpret and analyze schematics, assembly drawings and wiring diagrams is required
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- GED or high school diploma required
- 1-3 Years of Technical Experience is required
- Must be able to organize and prioritize work, be proactive, take initiative, resolve problems, follow through, and simultaneously manage multiple priorities to ensure goals are met in a timely manner
- Excellent Computer skills required; efficiency in Word and Excel
- Excellent communication skills required; both oral and written
- Ability to travel 25%
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Necessary to Perform Essential Functions:
- Demonstrate Thermo Fisher Scientific values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement
- Excellent communication skills and be able to interface with customers in a positive, professional manner
- Proven ability to lead a team to diagnose and resolve problems on sophisticated electronic, mechanical instrumentation in a laboratory environment
- Ability to lead and develop employees with varying levels of development & experience to meet business goals.
- Customer Service system (satisfaction) exposure / experience
Locations: This position is located in Kalamazoo, Michigan