When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Unity Lab Services (ULS), a part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, provides integrated solutions, instrument, and enterprise services to our customers. This Field Service Engineer is responsible for managing all aspects of field service support and customer relationship management. The successful candidate will provide complete services on Mass Spectrometry systems, including installation, repairs, preventative maintenance, and instrument qualifications. Our ideal candidate will be customer oriented, an advocate for Thermo Fisher Scientific in customer laboratories, and be eager to drive growth.
- Perform on-site installation, repair, maintenance, qualification, and validation of Mass Spectrometry systems
- Must be client-focused, working in conjunction with other ULS teams and Sales
- Must be proficient with the use of customer management software to track service calls, manage parts inventories, and complete job tasks
- Reviews reports and documentation from customers, and inspects malfunctioning product to determine nature and scope of problem
- Analyzes review and inspection findings to determine source of problem, and recommends repair, replacement, or other corrective action
- Coordinates problem resolution with engineering, customer service, and other personnel to expedite repairs
- Analyzes Chemistry reports of technical problems to recommend modifications to eliminate future problems
- Provides a communication link between the customer and the company to help ensure that effective service is provided to the customer
- Develops and conducts training on the safe operations of the equipment and demonstrates skills to trainees, including both team members and customers
- May pass through areas where chemical based products may be in use
- Other duties may be assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Sciences or related field
- 3 or more years hands-on experience working with analytical instrumentation, preferably as a Service Engineer
- Effective communication skills and establishing good customer rapport are essential
- Ability to prioritize service requests and produce clear and concise documentation
- Must be available to travel overnight up to 50% within the territory or other areas as required
- Ability to work independently within a customer location
- Essential Functions and Physical Requirements:
- Ability to safely lift 50 Lbs with assistance on occasion.
- Ability to safely lift and carry 25-30 Lbs continuously throughout the day.
- Ability to bend, squat, stretch, and reach on a daily basis in a service function.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and safe driving record.
- PhD in Chemistry or related field
- Hands-on experience and application knowledge with Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry systems
- Strong preference for background with proteomics applications
The territory primarily covers the Greater Philadelphia area, with local and overnight travel required up to 50%. This position will be remotely-based within the territory.
This position has not been approved for relocation.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.