When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the system-level design of Microanalysis products with a focus on EDS, WDS, and EBSD
- Develop and execute test methodologies to verify the performance of products
- Maintain test methodologies to verify product performance during manufacturing production
- Work with suppliers to develop improved technologies over time
- Operate and maintain an SEM lab containing multiple SEM systems for use by the R&D team
- Lead the technical relationship with key customers and OEMs
- Maintain knowledge of the state of the art in Microanalysis systems
- Research new technologies with potential for impacting growth in X-Ray Microanalysis analytical systems, recommend opportunities to incorporate new technologies into products addressing both our existing and potential new market segments
- Work with marketing on voice of the customer initiatives aimed at defining customers’ needs for new products
- Work with development teams and targeted customers to identify and characterize new applications and solutions, help to define solutions that meet customer needs
- Track, analyze, and evaluate competitive technologies including but not limited to publications, patents, and applications
- Other miscellaneous duties as assigned
- Make technical design decisions on projects
- May require approval from more senior staff to recommend and make purchases
- May provide day-to-day, non-supervisory leadership to technicians, junior engineers, interns, etc.
- Propose capital equipment purchases for approval by departmental management
- Propose project engineering expenditures to the limit directed by supervisor
- Establish implementation specifications for products, procedures, and processes
- Propose product supplier sources for equipment or material for approval by manufacturing department
- MS degree in Physics, Analytical Chemistry, Engineering, or related discipline with applicable experience
- Ph.D. degree in Physics, Analytical Chemistry, Engineering, or related discipline a plus
- 3+ years experience in Microanalysis development or applications
- Working understanding of the operation of electron microscopes and Microanalysis systems, especially EDS, WDS, and EBSD
- Working knowledge of Microanalysis system design, including detectors, signal processing, and algorithms for identification, quantification, etc.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a project team environment.
- Ability to estimate completion time of design tasks
- Able to use scientific principles and methods to understand, test, and resolve technical problems that cross engineering disciplines
- Ability to think creatively to scope and propose new projects
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to work professionally with customers, sales, and marketing
Travel: Up to 10% domestic and international travel
This position has relocation assistance.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.