When you are part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you will do important work, and you will be valued and recognized for your performance. With talented managers and inspiring coworkers to support you, you will find the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
The maintenance mechanic role conducts machine setup, troubleshooting, repairs and preventive maintenance service. Must be able to provide emergency/unscheduled repairs of production equipment during production and performs scheduled maintenance repairs of production equipment during machine service, reads and interprets equipment manuals and work orders to perform required maintenance and service. Must have mechanical skills including, but not limited to, mechanical, electrical, pneumatic and hydraulic troubleshooting and repair of packaging and production machines. In addition, the role is responsible for performing highly diversified duties to install, troubleshoot, repair and maintain production and facility equipment according to safety, predictive and productive maintenance systems and processes to support the achievement of the site’s business goals and objectives.
This is a 3rd shift position. Hours are from 11:30pm-8:00am
Works in chemical manufacturing facility and warehouse. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions. The noise level in the work environment and job site can be loud.
- Lays out, installs and maintains a variety of installations and equipment, such as powerhouse piping, high pressure steam piping, compressors, boilers, accumulators, pumps and other kinds of steam, gas, air and hydraulic equipment. Work area may be throughout the facility, including confined spaces.
- Performs Arc and/or Acetylene welding on diversified products, parts or structures, usually involving high strength or pressure requirements. Regulates current and voltage, selects electrode type and size for arc welding or selects tips and varies flame for acetylene welding. Considerable skill and judgment is required to apply proper techniques.
- Repairs, adjusts, overhauls, constructs and maintains packaging machinery and associated equipment in good working order. Performs maintenance duties on the packaging line when the line is running, as necessary.
- Makes replacement parts, troubleshoots or erects electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic, optical or mechanical systems when given the necessary equipment.
- Performs a wide variety of carpentry duties necessary to construct and maintain in good repair building woodwork, etc. Constructs and repairs cabinets and office furniture. Must be able to work from blueprints, plan and layout work.
- To qualify the employee must be physically able to perform the duties as described in the Job Description and be proficient in three of the skill sets described and must be willing to assist and train in those areas where he is not yet proficient. The Company will consider a diploma or certificate from recognized trade school as a basis for consideration for promotion into another level, but reserves the right to deny any such promotion if in its opinion the individual does not qualify, or the employee’s work records is not meritorious of top classification.
- With assistance constructs, maintains, and tests mechanical equipment, machinery, and components, identifies parts or machines that need new parts or need to be replaced.
- Will perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or certificate from recognized trade school
- 5 years of relevant industry experience
- Requires a low pressure Black Seal License
- Forklift certification
- Works proactively to prevent equipment failure
- Works independently to repair equipment even before basic problems are reported
- Mechanical troubleshooting experience
- Ability to work on cross-functional teams
- Ability to effectively manage multiple assignments
- Knowledgeable in Lockout/tagout procedures
- Independent shift mechanic work experience
- Automated machinery experience
- Basic electrical experience
- Working knowledge of NJDEP, EPA, FDA, OSHA and ISO regulations preferred
- Working knowledge of Computerized Maintenance Management System (Maximo, SAP preferred)
- Maintenance related trade school
- Packaging or chemical hazard industry experience
- Robotics and control equipment experience
- Welding and fabrication experience
- Classified electrical experience
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.