Position Title: Demonstration Chemist
Expertise: Mass Spectrometry and Small Molecule Characterization
Location: San Jose, CA (relocation available)
A dynamic and self-motivating individual is required to support state-of-the-art LCMS instrumentation as a Demonstration Chemist. As a member of the Thermo Fisher Scientific North America Demonstration and Applications Labs, the candidate will work within a multi-disciplinary matrix team that includes regional sales representatives, marketing and service professionals, product development scientists, and engineers. Primary responsibilities will be to conduct LCMS product demonstrations related to (but not limited to) small molecule, environmental, clinical, food, or metabolomics applications. Additional responsibilities include technical and application support to ensure customer success and satisfaction in these application areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct and participate actively in LCMS product demonstrations showcasing Thermo Scientific’s state of the art mass spectrometry products (Ion Trap, QQQ, and Orbitrap based products).
- Provide pre and post sales technical support as well as applications assistance in response to customer inquiries (both internal and external), including education, training and on-site visits,
- Develop new applications applying Thermo Scientific LCMS offerings to small molecule markets, including writing application notes, peer reviewed publications, and presenting at the appropriate scientific conferences.
- Engage in new product development evaluations as needed.
- Preparing and presenting technical seminars to existing and potential customers.
- Miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- MS or Ph.D. in Chemistry or a Bioscience or equivalent.
- 5+ years of hands-on LCMS experience.
- A strong understanding of qualitative and quantitative small molecule LCMS workflows (e.g., metabolite ID and clinical analyses) and associated structural elucidation is required. A strong understanding of associated sample preparation for LC/MS analysis is important.
- Experience with a broad range of LCMS instrumentation both qualitative and quantitative.
- Requires excellent communication skills including verbal, written and presentation.
- Strong project and time management skills required.
- Must be willing and able to travel (up to 20%).
Desired Education and Experience:
- MS education in mass spectrometry or related area (PhD preferred).
- Experience working in cooperation with marketing and sales professionals is a plus.
- Previous experience on Thermo Scientific MS instrumentation preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions:
- Knowledge of basic chemistry principles.
- Knowledge of liquid chromatography and Mass Spectrometry principles and instruments.
- Knowledge of small molecule quantitative and qualitative workflows and associated sample preparation.
- Ability to summarize and present experimental results and have excellent verbal, written, and presentation communication skills.
- Possess analytical and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrate Thermo Fisher Scientific values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement.
Interaction with Other Employees
Candidate will have daily face-to-face contact with Demo Chemists and other members of the San Jose facility or extended commercial team. It is expected that the person will be an active team player and contribute ideas which will improve the demo lab environment and promote the customer’s experience visiting the San Jose Demo and Applications Laboratory.