Job Title: Commercial Product Manager _ Life Sciences & Clinical Research
Reports To: Category Director, Product Management
Location : Illkirch, Alsace _ France
The Commercial Product Manager (CPM) is responsible for the implementation of the strategy developed by the European Category Management team, through the commercial teams at a local level with particular emphasis on a specific category of products e.g. Life Science and will work closely with any sales saless assigned to these categories. The CPM will be responsible for a sales group as defined within the new Research and Safety Division (RSD) organisation.
- Develop and implement business plans with specific regard to the category (e.g. Life Science) to ensure that European Product Management strategy is delivered at a local country level in an effective and appropriate manner. This includes language, pricing, sales force communication, supplier and marketing liaison. Processes should enable two-way communication, so that central strategies can be delivered locally, but also local market input can be fed back to the centre to ensure that strategies are executed in the most effective manner.
- Work with the sales teams to ensure appropriate commercial focus on the opportunity.
- Ensure the highest level of training and awareness of the products
- Ensure the commercial team is supported at seminars, meeting and exhibitions and furthermore provide additional Technical support where necessary in conjunction with the product support team.
- Manage the local dimension of the monthly sales webcast through the provision of adequate translation and presentation.
- Manage the interaction between Fisher and those pan-European suppliers who have sales teams on the ground both supporting our sales team and operating independently. Ensure alignment with their go-to-market strategy with clear ownership of accounts in the individual territories. Review the field relationship on an on-going basis and involve category management where appropriate.
- Drive performance locally from a revenue and margin perspective on an individual supplier basis with regard to internal AOP and our target agreements with the supplier. Where appropriate analyse customer performance with the sales teams and develop plans to grow/improve or mitigate lack of performance
- Ensure that European CPM activities & performance metrics are fully aligned with the European & Global Product Management strategies, Sales, Marketing & Customer Service organizations. This will be achieved through the AOP process and joint, ongoing reviews / performance reporting
- Establish commercially effective / relevant relationships with the ‘local’ European suppliers. The role of CPM is to ensure that RSD relationships with the broader European supplier community remain ‘healthy’ – this would be reflected by minimum supplier revenue breakage, consistent levels of field & marketing support and pricing levels consistent, or favorable to, other channels in that local market. ‘Local’ suppliers and the nature of support / engagement will be agreed in conjunction with the European Category Directors and their teams.
- Manage annual negotiations with the ‘local’ supplier base in the CPM portfolio in order to secure the most advantageous position for the company regarding pricing, product delivery and supplier support for the products, without compromising the company’s commitment to its clients. Such negotiations should ultimately be focused on increasing profitability for the corporation.
- Manage the ongoing administration of product data for local suppliers; including the introduction, amendment and deletion, as well as cost data and list pricing (where relevant). This would also include validation of new / existing catalogue content in local language for all suppliers.
- Continually assess product / market opportunities / gaps as they relate to the local territory. Communicate potential opportunities to the European Product Management team for evaluation and decision making. Equally, monitor and provide structured feedback on competitor activities to both Product Management, as well as Sales & Marketing functions, where appropriate.
- Travel, where necessary, to maintain effective relationships with appropriate suppliers and represent the company at industry events and tradeshows, as well as providing support to field sales organizations at regional meetings and with customers.
- Support operational improvement activities, through working with the supply chain function. These efforts should be centered on increasing customer service and satisfaction via delivery performance through the inclusion of strict service level agreements with local suppliers.
- Liaise at country level with cross divisional partners to ensure the development, execution and alignment of commercial strategies that supports the profitable growth of the corporation’s products & the strengthening of its brand in appropriate markets
- Drive internal process improvement through active support of the PPI process.
- Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in business, operations, or a scientific field. An advanced degree in business or science is preferred.
- Candidates must have 3 - 5 years of progressive commercial experience and ideally experience in working in a customer facing environment for a similar time.
- Potential candidates should have relevant experience in at least two (and preferably more) of the following areas:
- Prior commercial experience in a product management, merchandising or marketing organization
- A technical background in science, engineering or research, to include an awareness of technology trends and the evolution of scientific .
- Previous experience with category management
- Industry-related experience in laboratory products or life sciences
- Contract negotiations with detailed and complex terms in such areas as pricing, delivery, support and service
- Willingness to travel within country/region up to 25% is expected
- Excellent interpersonal, customer orientation and problem solving, can-do attitude
- Multi tasking experience and flexibility to address immediate priorities and still manage deadlines with longer-term projects and strategic initiatives.
- Have an excellent command of internal systems; identify patterns and trends within data to assist with category analysis that will demand excellent knowledge of research tools e.g.: Excel and Business Intelligence systems.