Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $18 billion and 55,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Our five premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Manages company-wide accounting of Order to Cash (AR) and Purchase to Pay (AP) processes. Oversees the Company's accounting policies and internal control environment
- Manage and improve the month-end and quarter-end close and reporting process, prepare timely, accurate and complete monthly and quarterly financial accounts to fulfill local and corporate reporting requirements
- Review and prepare account reconciliations, journal entries, and variance analysis and ensure accounting activities are well supported and documented and audit ready.
- Maintain full ownership of the General ledger to ensure accuracy, consistency, and completeness.
- Manage sales and corporate tax compliance and relationship with corporate parent
- Identify and implement opportunities to improve internal processes to ensure sufficient support for changing business dynamics; meet with business partners, understand needs and develop execution plans for improvement
- Completes other projects and ad hoc analyses as needed by the Finance Director
- Demonstrates and promotes the company vision
- Prepare and present monthly, quarterly, and annual financial analysis, such as year over year variances, actual to budget/forecast, and trend for balance sheet and income statement accounts
- Manage, coach and develop the accounting team to enable professional and technical growth
- Manage internal and external audits
- Implement controls that are in adherence with SOX and US GAAP
- Serve as a business partner by Serve as a business partner - Build strong organizational alliances and work to proactively understand and mitigate risk, as well as capture opportunities, provide value-added analytical support to facilitate strategic decisions for senior management.
- Ability to work with all departments to prepare their annual budgets, simplifying the reporting and tracking of the budgets throughout the year, and ability to upload budgets from our local system to a divisional template / system
- Ensure that Government cost-reimbursable type contracts are being operated in a manner consistent with Government accounting FAR requirements
- Support and develop processes for new areas of business support such as Standard Cost methodology
- Develop, monitor, and deploy revenue and EBITA contingencies to ensure business unit financial commitments are met
- CPA required
- Requires expertise in the following areas: financial reporting, internal controls, forecasting, analysis, and technical accounting knowledge.
- Requires expertise in leadership, initiative, and change management
- Requires the ability to develop and implement robust financial processes to drive effective decision making
- Requires demonstrated history of being a champion for continuous improvement with experience applying continuous improvement to achieve business outcomes.
- Requires strong written communication skills, along with clear and concise verbal skills.
- Requires proven history of obtaining operational buy-in at the executive level based on analysis and communication skills.
- Requires ability to recruit, develop, and manage professional teams and the ability to provide constructive feedback through performance and development processes.
- Requires proven history of ability to build organizational relationships with peers and operating partners.
- Requires ability to manage multiple assignments, good judgment, and prioritize projects and time effectively.
- Requires a commitment to continuous learning, show career progression and development for self and others, and seek opportunities to stretch and develop capabilities.
- Requires expertise in application of GAAP policies, and local company policies.
- Requires demonstrated ability to problem solve, think critically, and recognize discrepancies and anomalies through analysis.
- Demonstrates a strong sense of ethics
- Requires a four-year degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Requires 8-10 years of progressive experience in Accounting or Finance.
- Requires expert level Excel skills including use of Pivot tables and V-Lookups
- Prefer experience with cost-reimbursable government contracts.
- Prefer experience with FASB, Government cost-reimbursable accounting requirements.
- Prefer Oracle HFM / Essbase or Microsoft NAV experience.
- Prefer experience with standard cost models.
- Prefer experience in upgrading or implementing ERP systems
Certificates and/ or Licenses:
- Manages accounting functions, including Revenue Accounting, A/P, A/R, Government Accounting, General Accounting, Payroll