Business Job Title: Director Pharma Unit
Reports To: VP and General Manager, European Clinical Services
Group/Division: BioPharma Services Division
Position Location: Basel
Number of Direct Reports: 7
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher, you’ll do important work, like helping
customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is
safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career
Reporting to the VP & European General Manager this role is responsible for managing the Pharma business unit (BU) with approx. 200 employees (Project Management, Clinical Supply Chain Optimization, Quoting, Demand Planning, Manufacturing/Packaging Operations, Warehousing and Engineering). The BU head has full P&L responsibility as well as operational and quality KPIs leadership.
- Work with internal support functions to define Annual Operating Plan.
- Ensure company as well as BU goals and KPI’s are met.
- Responsible for capital expenditure plan and savings initiatives.
- Ensuring that all relevant department’s focus/initiatives are correctly prioritized in order to meet the final customer and company goals.
- Work with Business Development and appropriate strategic alliances and relationship management staff to track both current and future business opportunities and to be aware of competitor pricing and activities in order to maintain commercial edge.
- Participate in client meetings as required.
- Work with Marketing and SME’s on new product/service launches.
- Work with commercial and quoting teams on pricing strategies.
- Ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures including the health and safety.
- Ensure costs are controlled and within agreed budgets.
- Define and implement new processes and capabilities as relevant
- Embrace development/revision of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in conjunction with the QA department in support of a regulated environment including Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Create a culture of continuous improvement.
- Identify and develop strategic organizational effectiveness initiatives that enhance performance, productivity and employee satisfaction levels
- Embrace and support PPI initiatives to identify improvements and cost savings to the business.
- Serve on the Site Leadership Team and provide leadership in implementing the recommendations and driving the PPI Business System.
- Select, hire, train, and develop team capable of managing positive customer relations and exceeding revenue targets.
- Provide mentoring and coaching to grow and mature a high performing team
- Understand the key competencies required to achieve organizational goals and build organizational capability through individual and organizational development planning
- Requires ability to lead people toward meeting the company’s vision, mission, and goals.
- Extensive line management experience
- Relevant experience of clinical trials which must include handling complex protocols, key client etc.
- Ability to recruit and manage staff to achieve business objectives.
- Able to priorities dept. initiatives and to ensure others hit timelines. Able to establish performance criteria and to ensure that these are met
- Able to analyze problems and define solutions.
- Ability to influence others to achieve objectives – excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to work under pressure and to support others within the team
- Flexible and adaptable with strong customer management skills, comfortable with ambiguity.
- Capable of contributing to the section management team and of championing business improvement possibly in the face of resistance.
- Ability to carry out risk assessments based upon client, finance and operational priorities.
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- People leadership/ Management experience
- Good customer service skills both for internal and external customers
- Influencing & Negotiating Skills
- Good German knowledge
- Good knowledge of MS Applications
- Expert knowledge of Clinical Trial Supply Industry
- GMP knowledge
Recruiter; John Rackley John.Rackley@thermofisher.com