This is a technology development project that seeks to push the boundaries of next generation sequencing (NGS). Powered by semiconductor chips, Ion Torrent™ sequencing technology is simpler, faster, and more cost-effective and scalable than other benchtop next-generation sequencing technologies. By leveraging principles in polymer science, surface chemistry and MEMS, we are developing a platform that will deliver high-throughput genomic data with unprecedented accuracy. We are looking for a highly motivated individual that will take this challenge head on and work with the team to push the technology from concept to development, and subsequently through to commercialization.
- Characterize and optimize the surface chemistry of semiconductor devices
- Perform bioconjugations, crosslinking and other functional modifications on hydrogel particles
- Learn new Ion Torrent™ platforms and become conversant in operating & troubleshooting them
- Develop new analytical tools and assays as needed
- Analyze data, derive conclusions, document findings, write SOPs and prepare reports for sharing within and between R&D groups
- Maintain a detailed and organized lab notebook
- Interact within Chemistry R&D group as well as with Semiconductor Device Fabrication R&D
- Junior or Senior pursuing BS or BE in material science, chemical engineering, physics, chemistry, biomedical engineering or equivalent
- Minimum one year of hands-on experience in a lab setting.
- Demonstrate solid understanding of material science and chemistry
- Working knowledge of bioconjugation, polymer science and device physics
- Proficiency in statistical data analysis and basic programming (MATLAB, JMP, etc.). Knowledge in database query (SQL, R, etc.) is desirable
- Moderate to intensive pipetting and long continuous periods in the lab doing experiments