When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
As a Technical Application Specialist II (Software), your computer expertise will give you an opportunity to provide differentiated support to the transplant community around the world. You will develop in-depth and detailed technical knowledge of our software in order to provide technical support to customers, distributors and sales teams in resolving product performance problems. You will also provide development teams with software performance feedback from customers and provide assistance to the Technical Application Department in day-to-day review and processing of customer inquiries.
- Gain in-depth technical knowledge and skills in one or more product families via comprehensive technical training by product development teams such as Research, Engineering and IT
- Support external software, as well as the implementation of our Excellence Through Quality Customer Inquiry module
- Act as a third back up to the Reagent Technical Application Specialist and provide technical support to customers through analysis of customer data and expert interpretations
- Gain full working knowledge of software products such as: HLA Fusion IVD, HLA Fusion Research, TypeStream Visual, Torrent Suite and LABXpress Commander
- Resolve customer product performance inquiries as they relate to our software
- Analyze software performance conditions and replicate end-user laboratory conditions in order to identify and isolate contributing factors to product performance failure(s)
- Independently conduct tests and/or experiments to validate proposed solutions
- Communicate recommendations to end-users
- Communicate proposed software modifications/enhancements to the IT department for review
- Maintain a professional relationship with development teams and seek continuous self-training through them
- Provide development teams with technical findings to supplement R&D’s continuous quality product improvement programs
- Perform regular proficiency tests to maintain and demonstrate mastery of technical skills and knowledge
- Assist in planning, organizing and instructing in-house workshops
- Prepare and present reports and formal presentations to management regarding activities and results as required
- Notify immediate supervisor of any unsafe conditions and/or practices and take appropriate corrective action
- Travel as needed to customer centers and conferences/workshops (domestic and international) to perform laboratory demonstrations, training sessions, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences, computer sciences or related field
- Two years post-college work experience in technical product or software support role
- Intermediate level practical database management experience with basic knowledge and understanding of the following: Microsoft SQL Servers, Windows Servers, Virtual and/or Cluster Servers, Network Essentials
- Advanced level of proficiency in the following operating systems: Windows 7, 8, 10, and Linux (Ubuntu)
- Ability to write comprehensive Transact-SQL Statements, Windows & Linux Command Line and or PowerShell Utilities/Cmdlets, Secure Shell (SSH)
- Demonstrate proficient troubleshooting skills
- Maintain ongoing confidentiality of all business and scientific information and data
- Proficient with MS Office programs (i.e. Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ensure safe laboratory procedures and protocols are followed at all times
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment in execution of duties
- Able to plan and organize in a reliable and consistent manner
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with management, staff members and third parties such as customers and vendors
- Maintain a high professional corporate image at all times with third parties
- Intermediate proficiency using AWS & AZURE cloud services
- Specific knowledge of basic immunology and molecular biology
This position is not budgeted for relocation.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.