Sr. Database Support Engineer
The Database Support Engineer is responsible for conceptual design, implementation and support of automated and user based database systems within Thermo Fisher Scientific’s, CIDTEC Cameras and Imagers business unit. Working with local business management and the end user community, identify, implement, and maintain database solutions which serve to improve business processes, reporting to aide with quality control, and improve data accuracy, accessibility, system reliability and re-usability. The Database Support Engineer must be able to thrive in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
Over the past 15 years, the Cameras & Imagers business unit has implemented a paperless, cutting edge, world class Product Data Management (PDM) / Product Life Management (PLM) system that has significant impact on all core business functions including engineering/design, manufacturing, finance and sales. It is a crucial component of the ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System. Its effectiveness improves productivity, efficiency and quality throughout the business. As such, the Database Support Engineer is not only the key player in sustaining and the continued development of the PLM / PDM system but also in supporting growth of the business.
• Identify, implement, and maintain business unit manufacturing, engineering, and administrative information system improvements
• Design and implement automated factory data collection and analysis improvements
• Design and implement automated reports based on SQL SSRS
• Generate specifications, work instructions, and project reports as needed
• Create statements of work, select subcontractors, and direct subcontractor execution and implementation of in-house data collection system improvements, as needed
• Oversee the work of others relative to database implementation and configuration tasks
• Provide technical support of the following subsystems:
Mentor Graphics PADS
Factory Data Acquisition
• Troubleshoot and resolve database issues as needed
• Provide user training as needed
Basic Qualifications: (Minimum Requirements)
• Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics or similar technical major.
• Minimum of seven (5) years of primarily in database engineering
• Required fluency in SQL & SSRS software development
• Required fluency in SQL database administration
• Must have working knowledge of one or more database systems i.e. ERP, PLM, etc.
• Experience in documenting database systems
• Excellent verbal and written English skills
• Ability to interface well with internal and external customers
• Possesses the ability to concurrently handle multiple project assignments and the ability to lead, as well as participate on, cross-functional project teams
• Composure, conflict management, timely decision making, listening skills, self-motivation, and perseverance are all requirements of this position.
• Must have a demonstrable “customer first” attitude; a happy, friendly and courteous demeanor is a requirement.
• Must be able to excel working independently and without close support or supervision
• Familiarity in C#, Visual Basic, Excel, and Access software/ macro development
• VBA or VB scripting
• Familiarity with SSIS and SSAS concepts and programming
• Experience in product test, engineering process, is helpful