Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct Employee investigations and provide recommendation for resolution
- Provide HR solutions support, process knowledge advice and consultation to assigned client groups.
- Responsible for talent acquisition efforts at site level. Drive recruitment efforts within established division guidelines working with the Recruiting COE. Partner with managers in establishing hiring and compensation strategies. Participate, lead and/or manage BU HR PPI projects on the BU HR Team. Examples include: temporary hiring process, new hire orientation, community outreach program, etc.
- Coach functional leadership in assigned client groups on issues including application of HR policies and processes, restructuring, and complex employee issues. May coach employees on people management, career development, personal leadership, and 360 assessments.
- Consult with Business Unit and/or functional leaders in areas such as organizational assessment, succession planning, organizational structure, and work force planning change management in order to strengthen overall organizational capability.
- Ensure alignment of HR processes i.e. Human Resources Review (HRR), Performance Management and Development (PMD), Quarterly Business Reviews (QBR), etc. with strategic and operating goals.
- Manage the annual performance and salary reviews as well as the variable pay programs.
- Promote use of iConnect, Workday & HR1 Solution Center to solicit HR process/functional advice.
- Handle escalations from HR1 Solution Center to resolve client queries and issues as appropriate (US only).
- Participate in the broader North America Generalist team to drive Core, Common and Consistent HR solutions such as process improvement as well as participating in other broad scale HR projects and initiatives.
- Collaborate with COE Process Experts to execute and implement large scale HR initiatives (i.e., roll out annual programs, new programs/policies, etc.). Conduct exit interviews, analyze data for trends, and make recommendations for change as appropriate.
- Conduct compensation analysis working with COE in regards to local compensation needs or analysis.
- Facilitate new hire orientation and conduct local on-boarding for new hires or transfers.
- Familiar with complex FMLA, Worker’s Comp, STD and LTD issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Will be primarily located in Petaluma, CA location, with intermittent travel to the Santa Clara, CA site <10% of the time.
Interaction with Other Employees (level of contact, purpose and frequency)
- Frequent internal contact with non-managers and all management levels up through site leaders to exchange information, persuade/gain consensus, implement decisions and/or obtain approval.
Specific Scope Data
- Provide generalist and project support for an assigned client group in a geographic zone.
- Support of all Human Resource processes and activities under the guidance of the Functional Directors, Human Resources and Sr. Director, North America Field HR Operations.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in business or business related field required. 5-7 years of experience as a Human Resources generalist/manager with a large, multi-national company. Demonstrated experience with California employment law. Experience supporting manufacturing operations (or substantial, hourly, non-exempt population) strongly preferred. Global experience is highly desirable.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated success translating business strategies into organizational and HR strategies and actions.
- Comprehensive HR experience, including a complete understanding of and hands-on exposure to the full mix of HR functions in a global environment.
- Ability to provide concise, articulate and insightful analysis in written and verbal form, as well as translate into effective presentations. Strong analytical skills with advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Experience with Process Improvement approaches (Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, Practical Process Improvement, etc.)
- Experience working across a complex organizational matrix. Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- A track record of positive results and an ability to show how his/her programs and policies have contributed to the growth and bottom line profitability of an organization while enhancing or driving cultural change.
- He/she should be someone who is sought out for their opinion and advice and who can forge and maintain close relationships across all constituencies.
- Self motivated; bias for action.
• Effective negotiating and influencing skills.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to understand real-world business issues /opportunities and determine appropriate data, metrics, and methods of analysis to use to gain required insights.
- Ability to provide concise, articulate and insightful analysis in written and verbal form, as well as translate into effective presentations.
- Ability to work within a diverse, cross-functional team across multiple sites.
- Understanding of process redesign for complex, global organizations. Understanding of HR operations and the evolving HR technology landscape.
- Demonstrate Thermo Fisher Scientific values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement.