Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $18 billion and more than 55,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
This position is in the Chemical Analysis Division, Materials and Minerals (M&M) business unit. M&M is a $340M revenue business with 750 employees around the globe with major manufacturing operations in Minneapolis, MN, Adelaide, Australia, Erlangen, Germany, Parma, Italy, Johannesburg, South Africa and Shanghai, China.
The Site Leader & Operations Manager will lead operational excellence in our manufacturing site based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, supporting 2 product lines of Thermo Fisher Scientific generating more than $100M. The PI and BMH product lines are part of our Materials and Minerals Business unit. These 2 product lines design, produce and deliver equipment that analyzes, detects, monitors and controls manufacturing processes for the bulk, food, beverage and pharmaceutical industries. This position offers an influential seat at the table of a growing and dynamic technology segment and will provide substantial opportunity for on-going career development and growth within Thermo Fisher Scientific worldwide.
The Site Leader & Operations Manager reports to the Sr. Director, Global Operations of M&M Business Unit. The position includes strong connection with the Business leaders of the PI and BMH product lines and his/her peer group includes similar positions in other locations (Europe, South Africa, China and Australia). He/She will directly manage several key Operations functions including Supply Chain, Sourcing, Quality, Manufacturing Engineering, Production and Logistics. The Operations team has around 50+ people based in Minneapolis.
Essential Job Functions and Accountabilities
As a key member of the M&M Operations management team:
- Lead our Minneapolis site by driving appropriate communication to the employees, facilitating connections between all the functions on site and managing all the Safety and HR processes on site.
- Provide strategic direction and leadership for the Minneapolis Operations function.
- Drive rapid improvement in productivity and margins through process improvement practices, and overall simplification of our Operations processes including outsourcing of Non-Core activities to preferred Third Party partners.
- Through partnership with R&D and marketing, dramatically improve time to market and quality of new product releases.
- Drive change and major improvements in speed of execution.
- Develop the manufacturing staff to drive the performance of the product lines.
- Drive continuous improvement and standardization. Create metrics to measure performance.
- Lead the Annual Operating Planning (AOP) process for Operations and play a role in the strategic plan.
- Utilize a continuous process improvement plan with a focus on Safety, Quality, Delivery and Costs.
- Oversee and administer all departments and capital budgets.
- Provide guidance in the selection and appraisal of key managerial personnel.
- Provide leadership in the development and implementation of company policies.
- Develop action plans with sales, engineering, manufacturing and finance to ensure that customer expectations and company objectives are met.
- Other duties as assigned.
Other Job Requirements
- 10-15 % international travel.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business and/or Engineering.
- 8-12 years experience leading a manufacturing operation to a high degree of operational excellence including modernizing and relocating processes between sites and continuous improvement efforts that drove significant improvement to EBITA worldwide.
- Experience in multiple areas within a job-shop manufacturing environment including; supply chain, production planning, inventory control, manufacturing engineering and project management.
- Proven track record of driving change across value streams and demonstrated ability to be an effective change agent within a global organization.
- Highly energized and self-motivated with experience working with teams to implement change.
- Preferred experience in the packaged goods and/or job shop industry.
- Ability to provide global vision and leadership to execute change for on-going operational excellence.
- Apply urgency to issues that require it.
- Driven and self-motivated; Calculated risk taker with a high bias for action that achieves results.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, team player. Ability to generate enthusiasm and build effective working relationships globally.
- Skilled at problem solving and conflict resolution to create a “win-win” mentality and drive results.
- Solid foundation and knowledge of engineering principles, manufacturing methods, materials management, finance and working knowledge of IT and facilities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to communicate critical issues.
- Ability to coach & mentor people and effectively work, influence, and negotiate in global cross-functional team settings.
- Strong team building skills and the proven ability to work with a diverse group of people.
- Ability to develop high levels of credibility and forge solid and positive professional relationships with subordinates, peers, and upper management.