When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Business Development Manager will lead the global strategic planning for the filtration, general labware, environmental, manual storage, and automated storage portfolio focused on cell culture, academic research, compound, bio-banking, and genomic applications while acting as the liaison between the customer, product management, commercial marketing, and commercial sales teams. The Business Development Manager will be responsible for developing portfolio strategy with a strong focus on the 3 year vision for new technology introductions that will feed new product development while leading the process from discovery through business justification. You will lead the integration of the consumables and equipment to create an ecosystem approach that includes Cloud/SaaS for Nalgene, Nunc, Abgene, Matrix, and Thermo Scientific products in the portfolio.
Responsibilities include defining market segments, stratifying customers, evaluating the technology landscape, assessing competition, engaging start-ups, developing global campaigns and programs, new opportunity assessment, strategic ventures, and customer loyalty using multiple marketing and financial tools. The successful candidate will drive short to long term strategy via delivery of application and product roadmaps, new technology introductions, partnerships, licensing, competitive benchmarking, sales channel optimization, and product life cycle management.
The Business Development Manager will lead the new opportunity assessment from discovery (market size, trends, unmet needs, VOC, competitive position, IP, value proposition) phase through business justification (financials, NPV, payback, capital) phase. Additional responsibilities include relationship management with key opinion leaders as well as working across the company to uncover hybrid and or synergistic product, selling, and marketing opportunities.
- Strategic Planning and Execution – Work with key opinion leaders, product managers, engineering, and applications to create roadmaps and deliver products that anticipate and intersect with customer needs.
- Implement marketing plan for adjacent and or niche markets on a global basis
- Provide competitive benchmarking and positioning
- Maintain relationships with key customers to develop them into reference customers to help sales and plan next gen products via VOC collection
- Works closely with Sr. Business Director to create strategic plan and vision.
- Develops strategic intelligence and over the horizon planning using war games, Monte Carlo simulation, and Blue Ocean techniques
- Lead the investigation of new organic and inorganic technology, IP, and licensing for new product assimilation
- Create annual marketing campaigns to drive performance in the annual operating plan
- Attend tradeshows, sales meetings, and other activities to support/explore growth.
- BS degree in Science or equivalent experience, MBA degree preferred.
- 5 years of work experience within the Life Sciences, Biotech, Pharmaceutical, Diagnostic, Medical, or Clinical vertical markets as a product or marketing manager globally
- 3 years Business Development, Market Development, or Corporate Strategy Experience
- Strategic thinker, able to create strategy, and adapt to grow faster than the market
- Experience with CRM database programs, such as Salesforce.com
- Must possess strong interpersonal, presentation, communication (verbal and written) and influencing skills.
- Proven track record of managing multiple complex individual and team assignments autonomously and executing on time.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, entrepreneurial mindset.
- A team player with a bias for action and driving projects to completion.
- Willingness to travel up to 25% domestically and internationally.
- Applications or laboratory experience in life science considered a plus.
- Cloud Services and SaaS experience a plus
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 55,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.