Leader accountable for driving maximum return on the Analytical Instruments Group (AIG) innovation investment, and the continuous advancement of our product leadership position in the global market, providing a portfolio management cadence to assess portfolio health and visibility to the greatest opportunities.
Drives standardized reporting and analytics for consistent portfolio management, coordinates cross-functional prioritization process and alignment to strategic directions, assessment and escalation of product development programs to facilitate the “accelerating innovation program” to identify breakthrough opportunities. Partners with businesses and finance to drive excellence in finance and accounting practices associated with innovation and R&D spend segmentation, and drive assessment of organizational and process maturity.
Continuous improvement, of cross-functional and cross businesses community engagement, with increasing focus on enabling cross-business product development. Working with principal investigators to explore new technology areas and providing a framework for developing new KOL cadences that can be reviewed with the science and business community. Development of a consistent framework for the development of cross divisional ‘Super verticals” that address new market opportunities where cross divisional marketing and R&D coordination is required that leverages our overall portfolio.
- Enhance our ability to:
- Efficiently deliver innovative products to the market, supporting our growth strategy.
- Active management of innovation portfolio through influence and information to maximize return, balance risk, and deliver return on investments.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Responsible for developing and harmonizing project status reports, standardizing review content, nomenclature and development of new R&D metrics, IP status, roadmap visuals for consistency across AIG to enable active portfolio management.
- Coordination and development of AIG Innovation Council activity with Principal Scientists and VP’s of Advanced Technology and Development.
- Development of pre-funnel visualization and tracking tools and coordination of the “Accelerating innovation initiative” status activities, ideation models and brainstorming symposia.
- Development of collaboration and KOL visibility cadence for both engagement models and report outs.
- Coordination of prioritization activity across the group and assessment of portfolio health.
- Develops and maintains real-time visibility to the AIG innovation portfolio, including priority and status on all new product development programs. Delivers regular reports on innovation portfolio, using data as well as personal judgment to escalate ‘at risk’ programs as necessary.
- Partners with Finance and Portfolio Analytics resources to develop and deliver analytics associated with the innovation investment (both internal and external) including, but not limited to, return on investment for new product development programs as well as marketing and operations support investments, product vitality metrics, and revenue and margin metrics.
- Develop and deploy standardized data models and tools for R&D finance and accounting excellence including, but not limited to, standardized and comprehensive program-based accounting, revenue forecasting, and financial modeling.
- Development, implementation, and support for process and mechanisms to enable cross-business product development.
- Takes a long-term, broad view of opportunities to gain and sustain Product Leadership position in the global market place. Develops and communicates a shared understanding of where the business is now, how it will transform and how it will be managed in the future with the active involvement of the leadership team. Highly creative and proactive in anticipating, communicating, and addressing issues, including escalation as appropriate. Creates a shared vision owned by peers and the broader organization. Builds a sense of urgency to drive the business toward future success and increased shareholder value.
- Directs management attention to competitive practices and resulting opportunities.
- Establishes a rigorous, disciplined approach to managing initiatives (e.g., objectives, expectations, accountability, actions, and outcomes); sets high expectations for team members. Develops a real sense of accountability, clarifies roles and responsibilities. Demonstrates and encourages a commitment to quality performance. Able to make hard choices as needed and able to present well thought out, executable plans that show resilience and robustness when encountering opposition.
- Leads a positive, rigorous process of continuous improvement through functional strategies and management action plans, adaptive management processes and a quality leadership process. Rallies all those within sphere of influence around common goals. Skilled at building strong, productive relationships globally and cross-functionally. Ability to influence thinking and decision-making across organizational boundaries.
- Ph.D. in technical field preferred.
- MBA a plus.
- Expertise in product development, ideally with experience in both R&D and Program Management.
- Demonstrated business acumen and its application to strategic recommendations that align with group, division and business unit goals.
- Experience establishing and delivering on a disciplined approach to managing initiatives.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.