The Senior Systems Engineer is responsible for capturing, analyzing, and managing requirements and developing and optimizing product systems and software architecture. This person must have an overall system knowledge encompassing SW and HW, and their interactions. The role coordinates the work of design engineers and technicians in a New Product Development (NPD) environment. Tasks include technology evaluation, basic feasibility studies, concept designs, and system designs typically encountered in an idea-to-product development cycle. Must be creative with a broad range of skills in software and system development including embedded and application software. Hands on experience with electronics and instrument system integration is also a critical skill for this position.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with new product development teams including electrical engineers, software engineers, chemists, marketing, and project leaders in the development of written instrumentation requirements, FMEA's, risk assessments, and other input documents and ensure conformity to those specifications.
- Define schedules and drive implementation of software functionality and fixes including leading internal resources and managing deliverables and expectations of contract software resources.
- Work with subsystem design engineers to drive alignment between subsystem plans and Product Requirements
- Work with design engineers to define requirements of subsystems (SW, HW, and Mechanical) and interface components
- Map subsystem elements and interfaces to requirements, and ensure bidirectional traceability
- Establish a common understanding among R&D team members on technical approach, scope, and risk.
- Develop procedures for calibration and tuning of various control elements in the instrument, including mathematical and statistical modeling.
- Drive standardization of components across product lines and global manufacturing locations by working with subsystem design engineers as plans are developed.
- Integrate algorithms & mathematical functions for identification and quantification of data collected by instruments
- Drive development and standardization of engineering test plans and technical evaluations that include performance, reliability, regulatory, end of line testing, etc., used to validate new or existing system performance utilizing design for reliability tools and performance sensitivity analysis.
- Develop test plans, test scenarios, perform regression testing using automated and manual test processes for embedded software products.
- Communicate and ensure project plans, capabilities, limitations, risks, and opportunities are understood and aligned with cross functional teams by leading cross functional design reviews.
- Help develop robust methods for software revision control, bug tracking, configuration management, and documentation standards.
Other Job Requirements:
- Must have strong written and verbal communications skills
- High level of self-discipline, drive, and a proven ability to lead an engineering team
- Background in System Design and Validation of systems involving; Microprocessors and Communication Peripherals.
- Experience transitioning new products to production.
- Ability to integrate global standards and regulations into design.
- Ability to work in a cross-functional, global environment.
- Experience with SW/HW interfaces and architecture.
- Experience with system testing processes and tools.
- Experience with RTOS and embedded programming. Linux a strong plus.
- Other duties may be assigned as necessary
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 10% of the time.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
- 7 plus years hands on systems / design engineering, requirements development and implementation experience involving; Engineering Systems, and Software / Hardware Engineering
- Experience leading engineers and designers
- Experience utilizing analytical and/or experimental techniques related to system design
- Experience in the development and manufacture of Electro-mechanical systems which include fluid pumping and/or chemistry is highly desirable.
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in Engineering, Computer Science or Systems Engineering.