At Fisher BioServices, we specialize in the management of critical biological materials in support for the advancement of cell therapy, high value biologics, and population-based public health research. We provide customized end-to-end chain of custody solutions for our large pharmaceutical clients and partners in academia and government, ensuring the integrity and efficacy of their valued material from the manufacturer to the bedside. Fisher BioServices is a brand of Thermo Fisher Scientific, the world leader in serving science, and member of the BioPharma Services Division. To learn more please visit www.fisherbioservices.com
Position Summary: This position is within the Fisher BioServices business unit of Thermo Fisher Scientific. The Lab Technician 1 within the NCI CAR government contract is responsible acquiring the skills for weighing shipping lists, processing new compounds and returns, performing inventory procedures and shipment of compounds. Also maintains the laboratory in a clean and neat manner, and assists with disposal of hazardous and/or chemical wastes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Fulfills shipping lists daily including pulling and weighing samples from compound stock containers, completing lists on the local order processing system, labeling samples, and forwarding completed lists for shipment.
- Performs inventory procedures on incoming compounds, such as new compounds and returns, as well as those stored at the Repository.
- Performs compound solubilization and subsequent creation of microtiter plates on the automated liquid handling systems.
- As required for compound processing, interacts with the Drug Information System (DIS) to perform simple queries, basic updates, generation of labels, generation of printouts, and other tasks as required by supervisors.
- Assists with the shipment of compounds, especially preparing necessary documentation and labels.
- Properly maintains the laboratory and compound storage areas to ensure cleanliness and organization. This includes daily cleaning of hoods and surrounding work areas and periodic cleaning of floors and straightening of common work areas.
- Must adhere to all Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and facility safety guidelines in all tasks.
Basic Minimum Qualifications: The qualifications listed below are representative of knowledge, skill and/or ability. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to complete each essential duty.
- Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Requires experience working with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Requires ability to take part in minor chemical spill clean-up efforts to include use of full-face respirator.
- Requires demonstration of strong logic and problem‐solving skills.
- Requires high level of integrity and reliability.
- Requires a Bachelor’s of Science degree in chemistry or related scientific/technical field.
- Preferred Database experience
- Prefer some laboratory experience.
DOT Hazardous Materials Shipping Training
IATA- Dangerous Goods Regulations Certification
8:00AM to 4:30PM core hours, additional hours as required.
Work Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to work in a cold environment with exposure to dry ice, liquid nitrogen cryogenics, hazardous and infectious agents, marked changes in temperature.
- Must use personal protective equipment and adhere to safety protocols.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to process and handle materials frozen on dry ice (-78°C) or liquid nitrogen (-196°C).
- Must be able to use a computer up to 6 hours per day.
- Must be able to work in a laboratory and warehouse/repository environment.
- Must b able to be exposed to a laboratory and chemical storage areas with possible strong odor.