The Programmer Analyst position will support numerous applications supporting all business areas of Thermo Fisher. This position will analyze, design and develop, test, and document application solutions. The Programmer Analyst will also have a significant role in the technical development and maintenance of a wide range of client technologies.
This position works independently and at times will lead IT related initiatives on iSeries / AS/400 for the business. This role also collaborates with both internal customer as well as the entire department. This position reports to the IT Manager.
- Understands and complies with all IT policies, especially with regards to security matters.
- Designs, programs, tests, implements, documents and maintains computing applications.
- Gathers and evaluates end user requirements.
- Writes and compiles code based on documented design and analysis using established program standards and conventions.
- Writes specifications for programs of moderate to high complexity.
- Creates appropriate documentation in work assignments such as program code and technical documentation.
- Modifies or upgrades applications to maintain software functionality.
- Identifies and resolves programming or application architecture problems.
- Remains abreast of industry technical trends and new development to maintain current skills and remain current with industry standards.
- Provides backup to the IT Support Specialist on assigned days by responding to end-user’s questions and problems.
- Other projects as assigned by the IT Manager.
- Observes all departmental and Quality System procedures and work instructions.
- Supports Thermo Fisher’s commitment for continuous improvement by documenting process improvement opportunities throughout the Quality System.
Environmental, Health & Safety Responsibilities:
- Is knowledgeable in the understanding of all EH&S policies and procedures.
- Ensures that all job activities comply with any EH&S related rules and regulations that pertain to the department.
- Supports the Company’s commitment for environmental health & safety by applying ISO 14001.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5+ years of experience in programming and testing in AS400/iSeries.
- Experience workings with appropriate programming languages, operating systems and software.
- Experience working with relational databases to facilitate programming software.
- Proficiency in RPG III,IV and ILE, control language, DDS, query.
- Data transfer to/from iSeries / AS/400 / PC.
- Demonstrated experience to code following established program standards and conventions.
- Experience implementing 3rd party software.
- Effective communication skills both verbal and written. Ability to effectively work with a variety of different levels of the organization. Ability to express technical terms to non-technical audience.
- Functional and technical analyst.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills for design, creation and testing of programs.
- Innovative problem solver.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Project management and tracking.
- Ability to perform effectively with a minimum of supervision.
- Familiarity with: FTP, XML, SQL.
Skills/Experience Valued but not Required:
- Experience in effective Project Management standards a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, mathematics or related field preferred.