Job Title: Scientist I, Cell Biology
Location: Carlsbad, CA
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The successful individual will directly interact with senior R&D scientists and project management to execute project work plans. The scientist will be responsible for executing or supporting these plans to meet agreed upon deliverables and timelines. These activities will require a high level of independence as well as the ability to work in a highly cooperative team.
This role will involve the following tasks:
- Tissue culture (culture of many cell types)
- Stable cell line generation (transfection, transduction, antibiotic-selection, clonal expansion)
- Genomic editing (TALN and CRISPR based editing, design and implementation)
- Molecular biology
- Plasmid subcloning, DNA preparations, DNA sequencing, in vitro transcription of RNA, packaging of lentivirus, PCR, RT-PCR, TaqMan® qPCR
- Automation of plasmid cloning and molecular biology
- Support and participate in R&D and project management meetings
Capabilities and Competencies:
This position requires the following capabilities and competencies:
- Perform standard laboratory math calculations and solutions/media preparation
- Proven sterile tissue culture technique
- Proven experience manipulating DNA plasmid constructs and with various forms of PCR
- Ability to observe deviations from the expected outcomes
- Ability to succeed with a moderate level of supervision and guidance
- Strong teamwork orientation with demonstrable influence/interpersonal skills
- Proven experience generating stable cell lines
- Proven experience with genome engineering of mammalian cells
The vast majority of working time will be spent in a laboratory environment. Most of the work will take place in biosafety hoods in a tissue culture laboratory, working with various cell cultures. Cells will typically be validated by molecular biology techniques or functional assays. Time may be spent manipulating plasmid DNA constructs in a laboratory environment. Sometime will be spent at the desk recording laboratory activities appropriately in notebooks.
Must be capable of observing and adhering to lab safety standards and protocols. Occasional weekend work may be required to maintain cell cultures properly.
Critical to success in this position will be the individual’s ability to independently work on some projects and to provide support on others. This individual must be able to identify deviations from expected outcomes and participate in communicating and trouble-shooting those deviations, and suggesting alternatives. Equally important will be the ability to work as part of a team in the laboratory (extended R&D team) as well as a broader cross-functional team (R&D, Project Management, Collaborator).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science related field
- 1+ year experience in molecular biology techniques (DNA/RNA)
- 1+ year experience in sterile tissue culture
- 1+ year experience in stable cell line generation
- 1+ year experience with genome engineering
This position has not been approved for Relocation Assistance.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.