As the world’s leader in serving science, Thermo Fisher Scientific is a driving force in the research, healthcare, industrial and applied markets, generating more than $18B in annual revenue. No other company can match our range of customer touch points – technologically, geographically or commercially. We help our customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment, making sure our food is safe and moving forward with thousands of important projects that improve millions of lives.
The Anatomical Pathology Division (APD) offers a complete line of anatomical pathology equipment, capital equipment and consumables from specimen collection to diagnosis. Product reach is mainly to Pathology labs in a hospital setting, but also used in independent labs and the research and academia markets. APD`s collaborative team of employees are delivering critical answers and strive to provide Pathology labs a more efficient, safe and productive environment. The group generates $400M in Revenues and has it’s headquarter in Kalamazoo MI, with manufacturing sites domestically in Kalamazoo, MI and Portsmouth, NH.
The Grinding Associate grinds the flat, end and corner dimensions of rough microscope slides to customer dimensions.
- Load a metal chuck with microscope slides.
- Place the chuck onto grinding machine and grind corners of sides and then remove chuck from the machine.
- Operate hand grinders and other grinding techniques to relieve edges.
- Remove glass from chuck and place in plastic trays.
- Use a crown lift for lifting metal chucks.
- Required to meet daily production targets determined by the Production Supervisor.
- Support and participate in PPI projects as requested
- Miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
Noise conditions due to grinding machines, and heat on the production floor. Standing for extended periods of time for 10 hour shift or more. Lifting up to 45 pounds. Bending twisting motions are not uncommon. Repetitious work. Excellent hand/finger dexterity required.
- Able to follow blueprints and drawings.
- Read, Write and Understand English.
- Basic Math and Computer Entry skills.
- Vision correctable to 20/20.
- Able to stand, bend, stoop, kneel and carry.
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- High school diploma/GED from an accredited institution.
- Equivalent work experience.
- Background check and pre-employment drug screen.
This position is not eligible for relocation benefits.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 55,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.