Unity Lab Services (ULS), a part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, provides integrated solutions, instrument, and enterprise services to our customers.
The Service Manager is responsible for service, financial performance, operations delivery, strategic business development, customer relationship management, and both employee and customer allegiance. As a member of the North America Unity Lab Services (ULS) team, the Service Manager will manage key customer account(s), provide day to day management to service team, supporting and guiding the team to meet both the customer and company objectives. The successful candidate will achieve a high level of customer satisfaction, account growth & profitability through his/her own actions and by leveraging the broader resources of Unity Lab Services. This person will be managing 10-12 people.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- To manage, control and assure profitability of Thermo Fisher Scientific Unity Lab Service operations within a designated region of responsibility. This includes the responsibility for problem account management, service revenues, expenses and customer satisfaction.
- Manage and direct the activities of all service employees within the assigned region.
- Meet and exceed the regional revenue budget.
- Ensure that Thermo Fisher Scientific customer satisfaction (CAS) objectives are met or exceeded.
- Develop and implement regional metrics for effectiveness of the current processes.
- Implement all service policies and procedures with regard to resource management, account maintenance, sales support and service operations.
- Resolve customer hot account situations with timely and efficient use of resources including local sales support (i.e., managers and reps) and all of the available Thermo Fisher Scientific resources such as product/technical support, applications, marketing and engineering.
- Ensure accuracy of Thermo Fisher Scientific customer database, customer billing information and reliability statistics.
- Establish and implement regional business plans on an annual basis.
- Manage the selection, hiring, and training of new service employees
- Develop and manage subordinates careers for future growth via knowledge, skills, and development plans
- Manage service quality at designated accounts
- In conjunction with the service and product sales representatives, drive effective regional strategies to expand product and service sales
- Lead/participate in PPI project teams as identified to improve business & regional performance.
- Travel up to 50% expected.
Decision Making Authority
- Initiate and approve Credit Memos, using the existing signature authority approval levels.
- Authorize System Returns in conjunction with the relevant factory personnel.
- Approve expenses for direct reports.
- Develop and submit commission plan payouts in accordance with current plans.
- Performance reviews for direct reports and recommend salary adjustments.
- Purchase supplies up to the signature authority approval levels.
- Enforce existing policies for paperwork/expenses that agree with divisional objectives.
- Extend warranty/contract coverage as required for customer satisfaction.
- Extend discounts as needed that agree with divisional objectives.
- Negotiate on behalf of Thermo Fisher Scientific for national agreements as required.
Specific Scope Data
- Responsible for installed customer base.
- Manage up to 10-12 direct reports.
- Regional income budget of up to $4 million annually.
- Regional expense budget of up to $3 million annually.
- Manage inventory levels on a monthly basis.
- Authorizes departmental expenses up to signature authority matrix.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- 3-5 years field service experience.
- 4 year BS, BA degree or equivalent, a scientific background would be a nice to have.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
- Field service supervision or related experience preferred.
- Technical: Broad equipment experience (Thermo Fisher Scientific or related equipment). Logical thought process.
- Successfully manage regional training function and needs.
- Proven ability to work/understand corporate culture.
- Exceptional administrative ability.
- Proven ability to manage department structure.
- Successfully manages subjective decision-making.
- Communication-verbal/written: clear, concise, and understandable.
- Proven ability to resolve conflict.
- Successfully developed and demonstrated coaching/counseling ability.
- Consistently follows up on items/tasks.
- Performs consistently under pressure.
- Demonstrated consistent decisiveness (independent action).
- Developed broad business scope.
- Handles pressure/disappointment professionally.
- Works with other departments to identify and solve problems.
- Minimal direct supervision required.
- Proven/developed leadership ability/credibility.
- Customer/business-oriented (satisfaction.)
- Detailed understanding of service.
- Demonstrate Thermo Fisher Scientific values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement