Job Title: Quality Control Scientist
Reports To: Quality Control Team Leader
Career Band & Track: 4 / Professional
Job Family: Quality
No. of Direct Reports: 0
Reporting to the Quality Control Team Leader – Microbiology Perth, the scientist will participate in the microbiological testing, contamination examination and physical examination of bottled and plated products as directed by the Team Leader or Quality Manager. The laboratory currently tests for contamination, microbiological and physical characteristics of approximately 1500 batches of bottled and plated media / month. The laboratory is accredited to UKAS for ISO 17025 testing procedures and also performs testing to CEN, ISO6222, BSAC, EUCAST and CLSI methodologies.
To sample, test and report the Quality Control testing of plated and bottled samples sent to the laboratory in a timely and accurate manner.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Health & Safety
- To adhere to the Company and departmental Health and Safety policy and guidelines
- To ensure microbiological testing is conducted in a safe and secure manner
- Perform tasks in accordance with the ISO 17025 & 13485/9001 Quality Management Systems and Quality Policies
- To conduct testing procedures or other work as required by the QC Team Leader
- To enter results accurately onto the SAP quality system
- To report non-conforming results to the QC Team Leader or Quality Manager
- To follow defined laboratory procedures accurately when performing testing examinations and in accordance with UKAS and other regulatory requirements.
- To participate in PMD assessments using defined objectives including those from the Laboratory Scorecard
- To support and actively participate in the PPI (Continuous improvement) programme, (including Kaizens) within the Company.
A degree or equivalent in a microbiological associated subject should be held. Practical laboratory experience in a microbiological laboratory would be a benefit but is not a requirement.
The scientist should preferably have some experience of team working and time management and should have strong motivational skills.
- Have the ability to use own initiative and cope under pressure
- Have excellent communication (written & verbal) and organisational skills
- Be confident, pro-active, hard working and looking to make a difference