Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and approximately 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
All of our employees share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement. Our ability to grow year after year is driven by our ability to attract, develop and retain world-class people who will thrive in our environment and share in our desire to improve mankind by enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
If you share in our values and if you're looking for an employer who is strongly committed to developing talent and rewarding achievement, come grow with us at Thermo Fisher Scientific.
The Manufacturing Supervisor is a strategic partner in manufacturing operations with responsibility for leading a team of manufacturing colleagues to achieve required business results. The Manufacturing Supervisor ensures products are manufactured with the highest level of quality in a safe and timely manner that will meet or exceed customer expectations. This role develops and builds strong working relationships with their own team and with employees from other functional areas and shifts. This position works closely with the Manufacturing Manager on matters related to plant operations. The Manufacturing Supervisor is directly responsible for overall performance of his team/shift including safety, people, quality, delivery, inventory, and productivity. The Supervisor will be responsible for meaningful performance management of manufacturing colleagues.
- Mentors direct reports to improve their skills and overall effectiveness
- Maintains positive employee relations through the use of proficient and open communication skills. Listens, supports, engages and encourages employee suggestions and input to achieve excellent results
- Drives accountability throughout the operation
- Support cost reduction initiatives and first pass yield improvement
- Support Practical Process Improvement Business Systems into operations
- Support implementation of lean tools throughout manufacturing
- Participate on continuous improvement teams and actions to improve process and product flow
- Manage key operations metrics
- Support and participate with Quality, R&D and Engineering on new product introductions.
- Demonstrates Thermo Fisher Scientific values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement.
- Demonstrates Role Model Leader Characteristics.
- Other miscellaneous activities as assigned
- Plans and assigns work, implements policies and procedures, and recommends improvements in production methods, equipment, operating procedures and working conditions
- Participate in Tier I and Tier II Standup meetings
- Provide constant shop floor leadership presence (90% of time on floor)
- Ensure effective employee relations. Provide employee coaching and development. Makes employment decisions.
- Maintain a culture of accountability and colleague development
- Effectively manage a meaningful Performance Management process for direct reports
- Balance safety, quality, productivity, cost, and morale to achieve positive results in all areas
- Perform accident investigations
- Track absenteeism and timekeeping. Manage disciplinary action process
- Drive housekeeping and 5S
- Work closely with Training Coordinator to ensure compliance
- Collaborate with Scheduling/Planning to maximize throughput and attainment
- BA or BS degree in applicable field preferred
- Quality Systems Regulations/ISO experience required
- Continuous Improvement experience is preferred, such as PPI
- Excellent communication and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, self-motivation, adaptability, and a positive attitude
- Must demonstrate strong organizational skills and be able to handle multiple assignments simultaneously
- Must demonstrate leadership skills
- ERP software experience, JD Edwards a plus
- Proficient in MS applications (Excel, Word, Outlook)
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- 5+ years of related work experience in a Manufacturing facility