Business Job Title: Senior Manager Engineering
Internal Job Title: Senior Manager Engineering
Reports To: General Manager
Group/Division: BioPharma Services Division
Career Band: 9
Job Track: Management
Position Location: Horsham
Number of Direct Reports: 4
Day/Shift (if applicable): Core
The position has overall responsibility for engineering and validation at the main facility at Horsham and two in Crawley. This includes the CAD and Packaging Design functions. On a day to day basis this will be achieved through the management, coaching and development of the Engineering and Validation, CAD and Design Team and Project team along with the introduction of appropriate technology and working practices. The activities will be carried out in accordance with current statutory, regulatory and company safety and quality standards. This role will also be responsible for the Co-Ordination of engineering and innovation related projects
- Quality: To implement, maintain and measure within the engineering area, a framework for compliance and ongoing improvement in quality performance and right first time culture. This will be in accordance with statutory, regulatory and company standards, procedures and systems regarding relevant cGMP and Quality Systems in the workplace.
- Customer Allegiance: To ensure the availability and reliability of engineering services and manufacturing equipment for the operational areas in order that they can achieve the plans to satisfy customer requirements. This will be achieved through the alignment and provision of engineering resource in accordance with the business plan.
- Team: To manage, coach and develop an effective and motivated team to achieve team, department and business objectives. To co-operate in cross-functional teams to remove barriers and time lags. To plan and effectively utilise the area training budget to improve their team’s contribution to the overall business performance. To take responsibility for their own development to increase their contribution to business performance. To apply company HR policies consistently throughout the area of managerial responsibility.
- Improvement & Efficiency: To identify and implement technology based and working practice solutions designed to reduce the overall cost per unit measures. To lead, participate and contribute to Practical Process Improvement (PPI) projects that deliver the business objectives in a cost effective manner.
- Fiscal: To prepare and manage the annual departmental budget. To implement and manage financial measures that monitors the performance and drive continuous improvement in a cost-effective manner.
- Undertake any duties on an ad-hoc basis as required by the Line Manager
- Justification and recommendation of service contracts.
- Justification and prioritization of capital investment proposals.
- Justification and recommendation of changes in working practices.
- Justification and recommendation of overall headcount levels.
- Quality Assurance – calibration, maintenance and improvement of area performance.
- Production and Warehousing – machine maintenance and innovation
- Planning – agreement of access to equipment that may affect output.
- Human Resources – HSE, recruitment, training and changes to terms and conditions.
- Project Managers – Liaise with the team to ensure cohesive working on relevant projects.
- Contract service providers.
- Clients – Quality audits
- Equipment suppliers – specification of requirements and handover.
- Trade conferences – technology benchmarking
- Degree or HND in Engineering or similar technical discipline with extensive experience of running a large complex facility.
- Computer literate
Essential Skills / Experience:
- Strong communication skills (verbal & written)
- Good standard of English (verbal & written)
- Management experience
- Good understanding of GMP environment or previous experience in a similar environment
- Controlled environment storage and distribution operations.
- Project management.
- Budget management.
- Establishment and management of service providers, including service level agreements.
- Line management