The Director, PPI Business System is responsible for leading the planning and implementation of PPI (Practical Process Improvement) Lean Enterprise at the Thermo Fisher Scientific site in Fremont, CA. Establish and mature the Lean Management System (tiered daily management systems, Gemba walks, and leader standard work) and other coaching tools to transform the culture. Work closely with business leadership and PPI steering committees to identify ways to accelerate the culture change necessary to support PPI as the way we do business.
The individual will work closely with the Divisional Director of PPI Lean and the Fremont site leadership to establish the overall scope and implementation plan for the site. The position reports directly to the SDG Senior Director, PPI Business System with a dotted line to the Vice President/General Manager of Niche Diagnostics.
This role will drive the implementation of the PPI Business System within CDD Niche Diagnostics functional groups to enable profitable growth, intensify the customer experience and increase employee engagement. The position partners with key stakeholders to establish and implement plans via strategy deployment tools to improve systems, improve profitability and eliminate waste. It involves coaching specific teams in the development and maturity of the lean management system, strategy deployment, and leader standard work. Additionally, it involves talent development across the organization to enable cultural adoption of the PPI Business System.
The Director has responsibility for managing the cost and availability of Operations material through successful materials planning, stocking/signal strategy, and commodity management for the Production floor. Strategies and performance metrics focus on timely support, development, and implementation of Lean Processes. Efficient operation of Receiving and the main Lean Supermarket is also under the management of the Director, Supply Chain. Measures of success include product OTD, supplier OTD, inventory DOS, Inventory Accuracy, material demand planning, and backlog management. Efficient integration of MRP, Lean, capacity forecasting, and supplier strategies is expected in this position to maintain optimal global supply chain performance.
This position interacts with all areas and levels of the company, using a multi-disciplinary approach to problem solving, and works to motivate team members toward the common goal, deliver perfect quality products to our customer on-time at lowest cost and inventory.
- Lead and facilitate PPI Steering Team, Sponsor Daily Senior Leadership Team Board, and drive PPI culture
- Develop strategy to train and develop PPI experts
- Develop Niche business process strategy and ensure maximizes the power of ERP platforms
- Create and maintain data management process for ERP working closely with IT
- Lead/work with functional teams to streamline processes to improve the customer experience, enable profitable growth and become more efficient.
- Cultivate an action-biased culture of continuous improvement to improve KPIs, in the areas of customer, finance, people and quality.
- Implement Lean Management System principles as appropriate to transform the Niche Diagnostics culture into one focused on continuous improvement.
- Improve the decision-making model and problem solving capabilities within high performance teams to increase autonomy and the pace of change.
- BS or BA - Degree in Engineering or Operations related field preferred or equivalent experience
- Previous working experience, 8-10 years, involving Lean transformation and/or experience with driving continuous improvement in a Lean environment.
- A Lean Expert with an 5+ years’ experience and a ‘hands-on’ track record of implementing successful TPS-based business systems including elements such as:
- Lean Leadership (Daily Management, Leader Standard Work, and Gemba Walks)
- Strategy Deployment and Value-stream mapping
- Kaizen events on standard work, cell design, process and product 3P, Value-Analysis/Value Engineering, error-proofing, material flow, heijunka, and kanban
- Expertise in problem-solving utilizing a formal program/process
- Experience working with Lean Sensei or TPS coach.
- A holistic thinker who can look enterprise-wide to integrate and streamline systems for optimal benefit.
- Solid foundation in Root Cause Problem Solving, Process Flow / Value stream Mapping and Standard Work application.
- Ability to lead teams to achieve successful results through Continuous Improvement activities
- Ability to envision the improved future state and provide direction, plans and practical support to get there.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Must be able to interface & influence effectively at all organizational levels and work effectively in a matrix environment.
- Self motivated with strong coaching and mentoring skills. Innovative, dynamic, multi-tasking.
- Effective, articulate and concise communication - written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Dynamic, high energy leadership skills and effective communication skills with a collaborative approach to problem solving
- Results oriented, metrics driven leader with a root cause, permanent fix approach, continuous improvement approach
- Ability to effectively collaborate with peers in other functions and with colleagues in other businesses or divisions
- Available for up to 25% or more business travel