When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $17 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
As a Mechanical Engineer, you will develop design documents, plans, criteria, specifications, calculations, evaluations, performance assessments, and integrated systems analysis associated with the mechanical design, build, testing and operation of Radiation Measurement and Security Instrumentation.
- Develop, design, document, and build & test innovative mechanical designs in support of the Radiation Measurement and Security Instrumentation business.
- Specify materials/parts/processes and suppliers for new/existing designs
- Provide cost effective solutions to a range of mechanical engineering problems
- Translate ideas into meaningful product concepts and subsequently produce detailed product designs that meet the product requirements.
- Use design tools such as AutoCAD and Solidworks for modeling, drawing, and performing mechanical analysis and simulations.
- Oversee review of product design for compliance with engineering principles, regulatory requirements, organization standards, customer contract requirements, and related specifications
- Manage type testing including: plan/procedure writing, test supervision, vendor interface, and report writing.
- Work collaboratively with Operations to ensure seamless and successful transition of development projects into production.
- Troubleshoot technical issues when the need arises, and resolve issues following the ECR/ECN and CAPA processes.
- Be accountable for assigned project deliverables, including product quality, and budget/schedule integrity.
- Proactively communicate project status, issues & risks to the project team and to management.
- Interface effectively and collaboratively with global R&D team.
- Establish an environment where continuous improvement is fundamental to the culture.
- Able to travel as needed to other RM&SI R&D sites, customers and external development partners.
- Use sound mechanical engineering practices to ensure that our products designed for safe operation.
- Other duties as defined within the scope of the position.
- 3+ years of research & development experience as a mechanical design engineer.
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Proficient in the use of 3D CAD software (Solidworks preferred) and AutoCAD 2D software
- Experienced with simulation and analysis: Finite Element Analysis (FEA), Thermal, Shock, Vibration, Frequency, Stress, Plastic and Rubber, Structural, etc.
- Working knowledge of materials and fabrication techniques such as sheet metal, welding, machining, metals, plastics, and composite materials.
- Knowledge of industry standards related to mechanical engineering (drawings, dimensioning, tolerancing, etc).
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with cross functional teams
- Ability to rapidly adapt and respond to changes in environment and priorities
- Excellent communication, leadership, and problem solving skills. Fluent in English language.
- Experience working in a regulated industry with regulations such as ISO, CE, RoHS, UL, IEC, EMC, LVD that are specific to Mechanical Engineering practices.
- Experienced in mechanical product design for analytical instrumentation or similar market.
- Experience working with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Experience with designing mechanical enclosures and shielding for electromagnetic noise mitigation.
- Existing (or ability to acquire) permission to enter U.S. government facilities, such as DOE.
This position does NOT have relocation assistance.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.